starting strength gym

Thread: Will SS work for me?

Default Will SS work for me?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello, I am a 20 y/o male, 178cm tall and weigh 82.5kg. I have been training on and off for a couple of years. I have now continuously trained from June last year running programs like Candito 6 weeks, Candito upper/lower and now 6 weeks into ICF 5x5. I'm pretty muscular, but the problem is that my lifts are still very weak. My lifts as of latest: bench 75kg 5x5, squat 80kg 5x5, deadlift 95kg 1x5. My lower body is very tight (although I stretch and foamroll as much as I can) so that could be a reason for the low squat (and deadlift).

I am thinking of running starting strength to up my lifts, but I'm worried that it won't work because the linear progression on ICF is already very hard in the 6th week. Am I still a novice although training on and off for a few years and now 6 months continuously on good programs? Also kind of worried that my looks will suffer due to the lack of assistance work.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by malietoa View Post
    Also kind of worried that my looks will suffer due to the lack of assistance work.
    No, it won't work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by malietoa View Post
    Hello, I am a 20 y/o male, 178cm tall and weigh 82.5kg. I have been training on and off for a couple of years. I have now continuously trained from June last year running programs like Candito 6 weeks, Candito upper/lower and now 6 weeks into ICF 5x5. I'm pretty muscular, but the problem is that my lifts are still very weak. My lifts as of latest: bench 75kg 5x5, squat 80kg 5x5, deadlift 95kg 1x5. My lower body is very tight (although I stretch and foamroll as much as I can) so that could be a reason for the low squat (and deadlift).

I am thinking of running starting strength to up my lifts, but I'm worried that it won't work because the linear progression on ICF is already very hard in the 6th week. Am I still a novice although training on and off for a few years and now 6 months continuously on good programs? Also kind of worried that my looks will suffer due to the lack of assistance work.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    It took you, a 20 year old male, 6 weeks of your current programming to get your squats up to 175 pounds? And you claim to be pretty muscular? I'm skeptical that you are posting in earnest.
    Last edited by Adam Skillin; 01-22-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Subscribed to view the carnage.

At least he didn't post this in the Rip Q&A. That would have been brutal...

Twenty plus years ago that was me. A little taller, about the same weight. Appearance > Strength. Strength was an afterthought, to be honest.

I wish I could go back in time, give my early 20s (hell my skinny teenage) self a copy of Starting Strength, a squat rack, and all the milk... tell young me that nobody really gives a shit about abz nor gunz, nor will either truly benefit anything in life in any way compared to strength. Focus on strength while the prime of that hormonal window.

Unfortunately my dumb ass probably would have just ignored the older/stronger/bald me and continued through my 20s being a bro, anyway... then completely stopped training at ~32 like I did, anway.

I stopped for 10 years. Only started again like 6 months ago. I'm stronger now in any lift that I actually did then, "in my peak"... ripped, but not strong.
    Last edited by dhalli; 01-22-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Will SS work for me ?

reminds of Old Spice commerical . . . "is old spice right for me?"

I have no muscle here . . . and here . . .or here . .Is SS right for me?

Quote Originally Posted by dhalli View Post
    tell young me that nobody really gives a shit about abz nor gunz, nor will either truly benefit anything in life in any way compared to strength. Focus on strength while the prime of that hormonal window.
    Do you really think that high school to college aged girls (and older!) don't give a shit about abs and guns? They might not be the MOST important thing but they definitely don't hurt.

Default SS is not the answer for you

I have put together the perfect program setup for someone with your goals:

Step #1 shake weight for men "unofficial ad" - YouTube

Step #2: Free Flexor ? - OFFICIAL VIDEO AD - YouTube

Step #3: Tug Toner - YouTube

Be careful that you don't overtrain.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    Do you really think that high school to college aged girls (and older!) don't give a shit about abs and guns? They might not be the MOST important thing but they definitely don't hurt.
    No- they definitely don't hurt, I agree. Well, with the college age and up girls, at least. I could have had all the abs and all the guns in highschool, but they'd still have been out shined by the amount of dork I was

Once I was in my 20s it was a different story (I wasn't afraid to talk to girls anymore)... though I think there's a point of diminishing returns. Mildly visible abs / athletic physique and some practical strength, vs ripped and basically just focusing too much on being ripped.

That being said, my wife occasionally mentions what my abs used to look like, BP. (Before Pizza)