starting strength gym

Thread: Programming for my 64+ y/o parents

Default Programming for my 64+ y/o parents

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My parents have asked me to coach them in a strength training program. They are both 64. (FYI: I am not a professional coach. I volunteer as a strength coach at the local high school, and use SSLP. I'm not perfect and I'm always learning, but I have had great results with the athletes thus far, and what they get from me is far better than anything else the school offers [or doesn't offer]).

Dad:
    Was a college cross-country runner. Began lifting weights about 15 years ago with no real goal or program in mind. Kind of just does what he knows how to do. Strong in some areas, weak in others. Can do a strict chin up with 45lbs. Probably could not squat 165lbs. He's the kind of guy that wants to be in the gym often, as in 4-5 days a week, doesn't like to sit around. Likes to run 3 miles once or twice a week. Reverts to running and pullups when unsure of what to do on any given day. Likes to feel like he "worked hard".

Mom:
    Tall, but not athletic at all. Always been active and strong, and slightly overweight, maybe 15lbs. Would not be able to perform a body-weight squat to depth. Activity consists of gardening and walking. Starting to have issues with fatigue and weakness from thinks like gardening and holding grandkids.

I've read through PPSTV3, and here's my plan. Please comment.

Dad:

M/W/F
    Workout A: Squat 3x5, Bench 3x5, Deadlift 1x5
    Workout B: Squat 3x5, Press 3x5, Pendlay Row 3 x 5
    Off days, or for conditioning after workouts: push Prowler, stair stepper or jog. Must be governed to balance with strength training.

Mom:

M/W/F or M/Th, based on observation of recovery ability
    Workout A: Leg press 3x10, Bench 3x5, Deadlift 1x5
    Workout B: Leg press 3x10, Press 3x5, Lat Pulldown 3x5
    Mom won't want to condition or do anything on off days. I know that.

I will use both of these models for 2-3 months, or as long as they can progress on a pretty smooth and conservative track with incremental weight increases.

Mom will transition to a squat when able. Dad will transition to something more like a 2-day model after . I'll have to consider this more when I get there.

What tweaks do you suggest to this model to start?

Plan for Mom is fine. Mostly ok for Dad. Pendlay Rows are not a novice exercise. Do lat pulls. Don't jog on novice progression.