starting strength gym

Thread: Missed novice 5RM attempt and best practices?

Question Missed novice 5RM attempt and best practices?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I am a novice deadlifter. Today I missed 245x5!

My lifting occurred as follows (parenthetical are missed attempt):
    245x2 + (245x1 to above the knee, couldn't lock out)
    245x2 + (245x1 missed somewhere but got off the ground)
    245x1 + (245x1 iirc didn't get off the ground)

My question is this. 225x5 and 225 for two doubles and a single are the same volume.

After I missed my first 5rm attempt - the first doubles listed above- the thought occured: ok, maybe I should stop it there for the day? And then thinking I might as well try again.

Is this the best course of action when you miss a 5rm attempt?

My next deadlift workout will be to try the same weight again. I know intensity drives adaptation per the stress-recovery-adaptation model of training, but I'm unclear about how volume drives adaptation even despite owning the book. In other words, is it the 1225 lbs of volume that will allow me to (hopefully) lift the same weight for a single set of five next time? Would the 450 from the original doubles have been enough stimulus to drive an adaptation? I can't imagine that quitting after the first set of doubles would've been better but at this point I'm guessing.

If this is explained in PPST3 and I just haven't seen it despite looking for the answer then I apologize.

How often are you pulling? How hard was 235-240x5 the workout prior?

Thanks for taking my question, Andy!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    How often are you pulling? How hard was 235-240x5 the workout prior?
    Calls for an opinion.

Here's from my log:

235x5 - "Hard to hold/Bring chalk to platform"
    240x5 - [blank]

My question is whether or not it's desirable to pull the remainder of reps (e.g. if you were supposed to pull 5 reps, missed and only pulled 2, then went back to platform & pulled the 3 remaining), as opposed to not (i.e. "settling" for the 2 reps pulled, and waiting until your next pull session with no pulling until then). Is it best to keep the volume consistent in this fashion? Despite it being in multiple sets? Is the answer different depending on how often you are pulling?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

HOLD

THIS JUST OCCURRED TO ME

I'm still confused about how volume drives adaptation. But from what I've read in PPST, it's the increasing intensity - in the case of a NLP - that is mainly driving the adaptation that allows one to lift more weight the following workout, if memory serves.

So:
    I pulled 235x5 - this level of intensity drives an adaptation that allowed me to lift 240x5 the following pull workout. I then pulled 240x5.

What occurred to me just now is that I adapted to the 240x5, but -maybe/probably/ostensibly- not enough for a 5 lb jump!! !!

Ok..........do you still have a question?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by visitorial View Post
    I am a novice deadlifter. Today I missed 245x5!

My lifting occurred as follows (parenthetical are missed attempt):
    245x2 + (245x1 to above the knee, couldn't lock out)
    245x2 + (245x1 missed somewhere but got off the ground)
    245x1 + (245x1 iirc didn't get off the ground)

My question is this. 225x5 and 225 for two doubles and a single are the same volume.

After I missed my first 5rm attempt - the first doubles listed above- the thought occured: ok, maybe I should stop it there for the day? And then thinking I might as well try again.

Is this the best course of action when you miss a 5rm attempt?

My next deadlift workout will be to try the same weight again. I know intensity drives adaptation per the stress-recovery-adaptation model of training, but I'm unclear about how volume drives adaptation even despite owning the book. In other words, is it the 1225 lbs of volume that will allow me to (hopefully) lift the same weight for a single set of five next time? Would the 450 from the original doubles have been enough stimulus to drive an adaptation? I can't imagine that quitting after the first set of doubles would've been better but at this point I'm guessing.

If this is explained in PPST3 and I just haven't seen it despite looking for the answer then I apologize.
    Height? Weight? Age? This stuff matters

at a 245 deadlift I think you may be overthinking a lot of this.