starting strength gym

Thread: 1.5 month of SS: shoulder, tailbone and knee pain

Default 1.5 month of SS: shoulder, tailbone and knee pain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I post this as a continuation from this thread.

My age: 24
    Length: 180ish (6ft?)
    Weight: 104kg (220-30 lbs)
    I live extremely sedentary

Current workout weights (x5)
    • Squat 80kg

• Deadlift 100kg

• Bench 45 kg

• Press 1.0 25kg (switched from 2.0 to 1.0 after shoulder pain)

(Oh, and 3+3+2+1 chin ups)

Haven't exercised for about 2 years. Became fat.
    I've been on SS for a month now. Started with almost empty bars on all exercises, because just squatting 3x5 without a bar made me fatigued. I have trained before, even had a 1x100kg bench but that was years ago. I never squatted serious weights.

I have pain in a couple of spots in my body that I would like to discuss:

1. Tailbone

• Happened last Friday during squats while warming up. A strange ache around the tailbone area.

• During my worksets, I get a sharp, accute pain at my tailbone whenever I bounce out of the hole. Only happens with a barbell on my back.

• Managed to finish my workout though. So it was in no way a paralysing pain.

• It's Sunday now, and I can feel my back ache while sitting behind the pc. But no acute pain. I keep wanting to 'stretch it out', if that makes sense.

1. Left Knee

• Whenever I walk or (bw) squat it feels like there is fluid inside the knee. Soft aching.

• Accute pain if I press above the knee, where my quads attach to the knee.

(happened when I tried squatting with plates below my heels, to test how weightlifting shoes would feel)

1. Left Shoulder

• Sharp, accute pain during lockout of the Press, or coming up when doing chinups. Feels nice right after though.

• Dull pain when I sit behind the pc too long or sleep on the shoulder at night.

• Strange: no pain when bench pressing. Orgasmic relief when doing super light face pulls 2x15.

• Started happening when I did the Press 2.0 a bit too explosive and a bit too heavy on the 2nd week of SS or when I tried doing more than 1 chin up ( I could do only 1 chin up when starting the program)

• Might have started earlier: 2-3 years ago, I started fooling around with weightlifting. Did a lot of singles on the bench press 3x p week. Left shoulder 'collapsed' once. Might be related.

So yeah. Wtf is going on with me? What should I do now? My plan is just to train through the pain as it might be that my body is simply adapting to a new sort of stress. I live an extremely sedentary life after all.

My biggest concerns are the tailbone and shoulder though. Anybody have similar experiences?
    Last edited by 2) The Answer is Texas; 01-17-2016 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Formatting

Most aches and pains will give way to massages with lacrosse balls, foam rollers, etc. The best places to massage aren't necessarily the places where you feel the pain. If the massages hurt (and you do need to press hard), then you're doing some good. As an example, place the lacrosse ball between your shoulder and the wall, then lean with your body weight. Roll around a bit. Some spots will probably be agonizingly painful. Good. After a few days of regular massages, the pain will start to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Esres View Post
    Most aches and pains will give way to massages with lacrosse balls, foam rollers, etc. The best places to massage aren't necessarily the places where you feel the pain. If the massages hurt (and you do need to press hard), then you're doing some good. As an example, place the lacrosse ball between your shoulder and the wall, then lean with your body weight. Roll around a bit. Some spots will probably be agonizingly painful. Good. After a few days of regular massages, the pain will start to go away.
    My back felt like ripping apart Monday. Like someone was holding left+right spinal erector and just tried pulling them apart. So I'm going to go to the PT on thursday. What should I do with my Wednesday workout?

I don't have any advice regarding your workout. I do suggest that you work over your lower back with a foam roller and also use a lacrosse ball or tennis ball to further target the lower back. It's possible that you might see immediate improvement and would feel up to attempting a workout.

My personal experience with PTs is poor and many others here share that opinion.