starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Check - Struggling with back

Default Deadlift Check - Struggling with back

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi - I'm struggling with keeping my back in extension throughout the deadlift.

I'm trying to shove my ribcage up between my arms + letting this contraction continue down until my lumbar spine is tightened into contraction, yet I'm finding it hard:

VimeUhOh

Any tips would be great.

Thanks

- You're not following the set-up procedure. Bar is not over the mid-foot, and you shove it forward.
    - Instead of thinking about the rib cage cue, think about pointing your nipples at the wall. Then hold it. Do this at a weight you can hold extension at. That may be 135. THat's the price you pay for doing things incorrectly up until now. Then you run an LP up and strengthen your upper spinal erectors.
    - Finsh the rep. Stand all the way up, and lift your chest at the top - your hips are still flexed, and your shoulders forward, at the top of most of these reps.
    - Quit moving your head around. Stand straight up at the top, don't duck your head. This is a bad idea with a whole bunch of weight hanging on the superior aspect of your traps.