starting strength gym

Thread: Practical strengthening of your foot arches: A technique

Post Practical strengthening of your foot arches: A technique

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Easy Exercise for Foot, Arch and Leg Pain from Fallen Arches, Flat Feet, Pronation - YouTube

This is the best illustration I've seen spelling out what a 'neutral' ankle position ahould be from a practical anatomical standpoint.

When's the last time that you were (if ever you were before) conscious of whether you're overpronating or oversupinating your foot while walking or esp. lifting or not? In terms of building strength and having a strong & solid kinetic chain, having a strong anatomical base or platform where force can be exerted is important, yes?

The Revelation:
    Maintain proper arch activation during your lifts esp. during linear progression for an according increase in arch strength.

And yes, there are the studies showing a negative correlation between flat feet and certain injuries during basic military training. So what? Were the studies controlled for all confounding variables? See the data and make your own informed judgements, or whatever. Personally, when Rip counterposits against the shoeless argument b/c supporters say it's not natural.. have you heard him?

Rip: "And for people that say [that] it's not natural to squat in weightlifting shoes, because barefoot is natural.. well [neither is it] natural to squat in a gym. With a revolving sleeve barbell and plates. And a power rack. And me teaching you how to do it [either],so you've got to decide where that shit stops."

I agree with him. You know where it stops for me? Outside the gym, where I wear the barefoot-type thin soled moccasins while walking. And Rip showed me that gym training for strength and conditioning with barbells is an activity that is benefitted by wearing weightlifting shoes.

TL; DR If you care, you can strengthen your foot arches in all lifts where force is produced against the ground using the full closed kinetic chain.

Did you try to share this astonishing information - this revelation - with Rip? It would be a cryin' shame to deny him an opportunity to learn from the two pros in that video. Just a cryin' shame.

Quote Originally Posted by visitorial View Post
    Personally, when Rip counterposits against the shoeless argument b/c supporters say it's not natural.. have you heard him?

Rip: "And for people that say [that] it's not natural to squat in weightlifting shoes, because barefoot is natural.. well [neither is it] natural to squat in a gym. With a revolving sleeve barbell and plates. And a power rack. And me teaching you how to do it [either],so you've got to decide where that shit stops."

I agree with him. You know where it stops for me? Outside the gym, where I wear the barefoot-type thin soled moccasins while walking. And Rip showed me that gym training for strength and conditioning with barbells is an activity that is benefitted by wearing weightlifting shoes.

TL; DR If you care, you can strengthen your foot arches in all lifts where force is produced against the ground using the full closed kinetic chain.
    The video is its own... interesting case.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that:
    1) You agree with the idea of using weightlifting shoes during lifting
    2) You are a fan of going barefoot/light-soled during normal day-to-day life
    3) You recommend actively crunching the ball of the foot towards the heel to accentuate the foot's arch during lifting.

1 is sensible, 2 is arguable, have you ever tried 3? Dean Somerset included recommendations to do the same in his Ruthless Mobility series and I played with this idea during a deadlift training session (I was testing different toe-out angles, stance widths, and knee-pressout that artificially shorten the distance from the bar to the hips). Lessons learned?

1) With a tight metatarsal strap and a well-fit shoe, there isn't much room to force the arch into a higher position.
    2) Holding the arch becomes an incredible distraction, and because that kind of position is not normal to the movement pattern, it doesn't hold steady under a heavy load, taking the bar off of its vertical bar path.
    3) I gained nothing from the effort, as I guessed would happen (but I had to try it). I could lift less weight and it felt like standing on two one-inch boards, one and the heel and one at the ball of the foot, unable to effectively press down on the (now forceably) arched midfoot.

More chiropractic bullshit