starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice / Beginner / Upper body, lagging or not? / Adding exercises

Default Advice / Beginner / Upper body, lagging or not? / Adding exercises

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    First of all, this is my first post, so I want to thank Mark Rippetoe for the great book which got me into lifting. And now...

I'm male, 22, 180 cm (5 ft 11 in), been lifting for a month, have been slowly adding weight, I've skipped one workout but generally all seems to go well. So I've got 2 questions, but first my lifts as of my last two sessions:

Squat - 75 kg / 165.3 lb
    Deadlift - 87.5 kg / 192.9 lb
    Bench Press - 45 kg / 99.5 lb
    Overhead Press - 32.5 kg / 71.7 lb
    Power Clean - 35 kg / 77.2 lb

First question, are the weights proportional or is it too soon to say after one month?

Second question, what could I add as a bit of extra upper body work? Can't do chin-ups or pull-ups yet (I'm what people would call an endomorph, squarish shape and very successful at storing fat, and hopefully muscle too, so I've never been good with chin-ups and pull-ups), I was thinking of adding some curls and barbell rows, and should also check if I'm capable to do the dips well enough. But I wanted to ask for some advice first, I don't want to add to much (or too little).

Oh and I forgot about my weight, I'm around 74 kg (163.1 lb) and I've maintained it for the past month. Actually the first week I alternated lifting with running (I had an insane amount of energy the first days, I don't know why), but after running 4-5 times and reaching 72.5 kg I've decided to leave it for a while and to concentrate on lifting, so now I'm back to 74 kg.

If you're not trolling, and you're interested in getting stronger:

Stop running, Eat more, keep adding weight to the bar.

5"11 and 160 without any weight gain 1 month into program = not doing the program,

I'll be surprised if you deadlift 300 and can't manage a chin up or 3.

5'11" 160 and you haven't gained any weight on the program!?!? you aren't doing the program kid.

http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf

Why do you say I'm trolling?

I'm eating pretty well, pork everyday, hard cheese, cottage cheese, green leafs, avocados from time to time, also spaghetti and other types of carbs, fruits... and other things that I don't know how to call in English. And my lifts are going up, so I don't see any problem.

I just had a ton of energy the first week, I had to do something on my off days, so I ran.

Anyway, I'd like to hear some hints on adding some upper body, it doesn't have to be much, just enough.

To clarify: After I stopped running, I gained 1.5 kg, that's 3.3 lb in 2 weeks (from 2.5 weeks ago until a few days ago, I only weigh myself once a week).
    Last edited by flyingfuck2000; 02-04-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Can someone explain to me how people think they can be 5'11", 160, and get stronger by not gaining any weight? WTF

Drink a gallon of whole milk a day.

Gave you the benefit of the doubt incase you were legitimately asking and just aren't familiar with any material widely available throughout this website.

I will give you the same answer I gave before: keep adding weight to the bar and your body and you won't need accessory work for a long time. If you're familiar with the book, you would know that by the time your deadlift is heavy enough to cut back the volume on, you should be strong enough to start chin-ups.

Get back to us in a couple months when the weights are heavier and let us know if you'd still like additional work.

Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    Drink a gallon of whole milk a day.
    Stop by Kwik Trip and check out their whole chocolate milk. A half gallon is 1680 cals. So if you could chug a gallon of this stuff, it would be 3340 cals! Talk about epic milk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Stop by Kwik Trip and check out their whole chocolate milk. A half gallon is 1680 cals. So if you could chug a gallon of this stuff, it would be 3340 cals! Talk about epic milk!!!
    That's a spectacular amount of awesomeness. Chugging a half gallon milk sounds like a less than awesome idea though.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Get back to us in a couple months when the weights are heavier and let us know if you'd still like additional work.
    Alright, alright, I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I would, but I'm not in the US. I'll just stick with the milk they've got here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast