starting strength gym

Thread: Ideal bar type for OHP?

Default Ideal bar type for OHP?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've never really given much thought to the characteristics of the bar I'm using for OHP at the gyms I've gone to; in general I just reload the squat bar and press. However on Monday when I did this (new gym) things just felt way off, pressing was way harder, and I jerked on one rep such that I pinched a nerve in my lower neck/upper back. The bar felt a bit thicker and more rigid than typical (great for squatting!) which led to three potential hypotheses:

1. I just had a shitty press day (could hardly do 2x3 @ 120, when sets of 5 @ 115 if only moderately difficult normally) and was beat up from squatting (first time I've gotten a full 2x5 @ 315, plus a back-off). Most likely, IMO.

2. The bars on most of the racks and benches here are heavier (doubtful); they look thicker than the olympic style bars on the other benches.

3. Weight on all these bars is the same but thickness and level of whip matter.

If there's some validity to #3, though, what type of bar do I want to look for? The more flexible olympic type?

A thicker diameter bar makes it more difficult to produce force on pressing and pulling motions. A bar diameter between 28 and 29 mm tends to feel best for most people. You don't want something whippy for an overhead press, but 120 pounds would not cause any bar to actually whip. My votes would be for fatigue and a thick bar making your workout less than ideal.

I'm fussy about spin.

Here's the physics of how spin affects the lifts (I hope you like physics & problem solving):

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ly-bars-2.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    A thicker diameter bar makes it more difficult to produce force on pressing and pulling motions. A bar diameter between 28 and 29 mm tends to feel best for most people. You don't want something whippy for an overhead press, but 120 pounds would not cause any bar to actually whip. My votes would be for fatigue and a thick bar making your workout less than ideal.
    I prefer to bench and press with my Ohio Bar (28.5mm) over my B&R (29mm) because I like the slightly thinner feel in my hand, and admittedly because it's the bar I'm most used to using (habit). That being said, pressing with a bar lacking a center knurl is also good for those very rare occasions the bar gets a little too close to your face.

. . .the press is a fickle bitch. Fatigue as you say. What if plates were off a pound or two? It would make a difference on the press.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Obvs a hex DL bar is the best. Neutral grip and no issues with hitting your head. win/win

ETA:

I press with a very aggressively knurled bar (OBP) and pull with a friendlier knurl in the B&R. I tried pressing with the B&R, but the feedback isn't right, for me.
    Well, aren't we just spoiled, picky little bitches. There's starving children in Africa that don't even get to pick whichever barbell they prefer for pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    What if plates were off a pound or two? It would make a difference on the press.
    Ah yes, this is why I quite prefer to use my calibrated plates while pressing. Anything less would be uncivilized.

Last edited by hollismb; 02-19-2016 at 01:24 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I press w opb. Seems fine. I like knurl