starting strength gym

Thread: Strength training and parkinson's disease

Default Strength training and parkinson's disease

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I apologize if this topic has been covered but i checked through some posts and did see anything on it.

I am curious about thoughts concerning strength training and Parkinson's disease. The new fad in Indiana is the Rock Steady Boxing geared towards Parkinson patients. Now, I can see how it might be good for motor skills but I can't see any other value it may have. I have read a lot about balance training and such, but it seems that this would have no better results than working with an normal functioning elderly individual who is weak. Some sources even go on to read that strength training isn't a good option because it could bring about an increase in muscle stiffness. While this obviously isn't the first time we have heard that strength training isn't a good option I can't help but to question, "How can it not BE good?" What am I missing? I am not well versed about Parkinson's so I am a bit ignorant. My mother-in-law suffers and I would love to find a better way to help her remain fighting and strong!

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by BigMac; 02-29-2016 at 05:34 PM.

I thankful that Culican referred you and us to that thread and am thankful to you for bringing up this issue. I will be reading this intently. I have had friends and relatives who have suffered from this. I too believe that Starting Strength can only help.

Okay, thanks Culican for sharing that link. I figured it had been covered at some point. Carson, there is a lot of great info in it. Even some entertaining bickering. lol