starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assistance work on texas method?

Default Assistance work on texas method?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I read practical programming 3rd edition and will be doing the most general version of the texas method. I have not altered or changed anything major but I have added some very light rotator cuff work as ive historically had weak rotator cuffs that got damage easily, even with good form when pressing. Ive always had core issues and have been doing weighted crunches the past few months to try to fix them. My goal is mainly strength, but I dont want to have an awkward/uneven body, so how badly would a few sets of bicep curls and tricep extensions screw me over at the end of a session? I imagine any back-work like light rows would be a no? Although strength is my primary goal and not at all bodybuilding I would technically be alright with 1-2% slower progress on my big 3 if it meant I could have a semi-rounded physique.
    Last edited by cham5678; 03-01-2016 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cham5678 View Post
    I read practical programming 3rd edition and will be doing the most general version of the texas method. I have not altered or changed anything major but I have added some very light rotator cuff work as ive historically had weak rotator cuffs that got damage easily, even with good form when pressing. Ive always had core issues and have been doing weighted crunches the past few months to try to fix them. My goal is mainly strength, but I do want to have a decently-rounded physique, so how badly would a few sets of bicep curls and tricep extensions screw me over at the end of a session? I imagine any back-work like light rows would be a no? Although strength is my primary goal and not at all bodybuilding I would technically be alright with 1-2% slower progress on my big 3 if it meant I could have a semi-rounded physique.
    How did you come to the conclusion that Texas Method will give you an "unrounded" physique? You can do some curls and ab work (although I would advise you be careful with weighted crunches), but you'll probably find that Texas Method takes about all the energy and time you have to put into lifting.

I guess I worded my question a little weird but I know the texas method is a great powerlifting program that will put a ton of muscle on my frame, but there isnt much arm or upperback work, which is understandable as its a strength program and very intense already. I am happy to hear that arm work will be okay, and I am not going heavy on the weighted crunches, I am staying in the 15-20 rep range. Any upperback work would be a bad idea though right?

I guess I worded my question a little weird but I know the texas method is a great powerlifting program that will put a ton of muscle on my frame, but there isnt much arm or upperback work, which is understandable as its a strength program and very intense already. I am happy to hear that arm work will be okay, and I am not going heavy on the weighted crunches, I am staying in the 15-20 rep range. Any upperback work would be a bad idea though right?
    How strong are you?

350 dl, 315 squat, 200 bench at 140 bodyweight, not very impressive but the texas method is for a transitioning novice to intermediate right?

350 dl, 315 squat, 200 bench at 140 bodyweight, not very impressive but the texas method is for a transitioning novice to intermediate right?
    Why do you weigh 140? These are 1rm's? Why don't you drink the milk and run the novice linear progression up to a 450 lb deadlift and 405 squat or thereabouts?

Ive been on linear 5x5 programs for around two years so far and ive been having stalling issues the past few months on them. Ive read in practical programming and a few other books that after 8+ deloads and a year of heavy lifting it would be wise to switch to semi intermediate programs. I am 16, 5,8 so I guess that has an impact on my weight. Yeah I am planning a slow bulk for 4 months, I just wanted to get this program sorted out first. Your correct they are 1 rep maxes.
    Last edited by cham5678; 03-02-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Ive been on linear 5x5 programs for around two years so far and ive been having stalling issues the past few months on them. Ive read in practical programming and a few other books that after 8+ deloads and a year of heavy lifting it would be wise to switch programs. I am 16, 5,8 so I guess that has an impact on my weight. Yeah I am planning a slow bulk for 4 months, I just wanted to get this program sorted out first. Your correct they are 1 rep maxes.
    Don't squander the opportunity to add 30+ lbs of lean mass in a handful of months. Your stalling isn't a programming issue, it's a dietary one. Drink the milk. Run the LP. We old guys would kill to ve in your shoes.

Alright thanks. Just to make sure the rc, abdominal and arm work is fine. Should I stay away from any back work?

starting strength coach development program
    No son, you're not getting it. Run the novice linear progression. The good old fashioned 3 x 5 one, not the fancy Texas Method. Drink lots of milk, and eat anything that isn't fast enough to run away from you. Gain 30lbs, squat 405, thank us in 20 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast