Default Squat + Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hey guys,

Squat 1

Squat 2

Deadlift

After watching these, I see that my DL form is shit. Gotta focus on not opening the knees and hips before the bar moves. Should my hips be lower at the starting position?

For the squat, I see that my knees come in a little at the bottom of each rep. Is this normal or do I need to push my knees out harder? I was focusing on "knees out" on these sets, but they still seem to have come in a little. Looks like my feet might be angled a little too far out, as well.

Obviously if I missed anything or any of the above isn't correct, let me know!

Thanks in advance for your help.

-S

Don't start your squat by shooting your butt backwards. Your butt should start to move down first, and gradually move back as you get lower.

Deadlift, your starting position is workable. Stop raising your hips before you pull. Break the bar off the floor from your setup position without changing your back angle. Your hamstrings work here isometrically to keep your back angle from changing. Use your quads to lift the bar from the floor to about halfway up.

Thanks for the feedback!

Anything else I should be aware of? (especially regarding knee/foot position on the squat)

-S

Your knees are coming forward in the squat at the bottom. Get your knees further forward earlier and drive them out harder.