starting strength gym

Thread: Squat stance- weight reduction

Default Squat stance- weight reduction

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Chaps,

I changed my stance to slightly wider (only about 2 inches each leg) to get more hip drive. Previously it was too narrow, more Olympic style. Has anyone noticed a drop in their poundage and how long before it came back up? I understand I am now using different muscles groups, just wondering how long it took to adapt to getting linear progression again.

Hard to answer, since A) these things are different for each individual and B) we have no idea what your former stance width was and what your current stance width is.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    Hard to answer, since A) these things are different for each individual and B) we have no idea what your former stance width was and what your current stance width is.
    Thanks. Former stance was a bit like this guys (in the beginning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=yha2XAc2qu8

New stance is what Ripp tells him to do, and I have been working on hip drive more. In the former was getting aches on top of the knees so I decided to work a bit on the form and ache is now gone. I do not want to go too wide as my deadlift technique works with a medium stance squat.

Not sure I understand what you're saying, but it sounds like you're saying you want your squat stance to be a certain way so that it can be more like your deadlift stance?

Your deadlift stance and squat stance don't really have anything to do with one another. Your proportions affect each lift in very different ways. There's no need for your stance to be the same in both lifts. Maybe I am misunderstanding your question.

Your squat stance should have your heels directly under your shoulders. When you turn your toes out 30-45 degrees, it will have the illusion of being wider than that, but as long as you keep your heels under your shoulders, that should be good. Obviously, some people will need some adjustments, but it's a good default position.

Also, your question about linear progression is a bit confusing. When you make a form correction or change and find that it makes the lift harder, you should drop the weight down somewhere around 10% - 15% (maybe more, if the error was something like that you were half-squatting), then add weight linearly from there. So you're doing linear progression right away after the adjustment. If you mean you want to know how long it takes to get back to where you were before the change, the answer, unfortunately, is "it depends".

What were you squatting before, and how much did you go down? Age/weight? How advanced are you? I think I recall you saying that you've been lifting your whole life. Are you doing a novice linear progression at the moment, or are you doing an intermediate or advanced program?

Thanks Spar.

I used to compete when I was 17-20yr. 20yr at 75kg made a non comp pr of 230kg x3 with early super suit. But after a parachute injury did not squat, dead or even shrug for 20yrs.. and now re-learning the techniques, reading the material from Rip and my old books. Hence the dumb questions. since 20yrs, trained yes except squats due to injury but corporate life got in the way about 6-8 years ago and training was not serious (poor excuse now I look back). restarted strength this time last year with a bare bar, front squats etc.

For deadlift, I read that a medium stance squat develops the leg muscles that can assist in Classic style (not summo) deadlift.

For my current stance, yes, they are now as you said above, toes out. What you said about seeming wider now also makes sense. They were a bit too narrow and toes not turned out, hitting depth an issue. I actually forgot how to squat. Before Christmas, I hit was at 155kg for 1x5 reps but stuck on it, depth also about 2 inches too high. So I changed stance, dropped down to 125kg, now at 135kg 3x5 now adding only 2.5kgs per week. I am currently on Novice as per advice in Pract Prog that if you re-start to come back, also had 2 weeks on the road so kept on Novice and work on squat form.

Current age 40/90kg, need to loose corporate bodyfat. DL is at 210kg x 3 (form is OK weight going up each week). Bench is 110kg 3x5.

Again thanks for the pointers. Much appreciated as its a new learning curve but frustrating at times as my squat was my strongest of the three lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by GHK View Post
    For deadlift, I read that a medium stance squat develops the leg muscles that can assist in Classic style (not summo) deadlift.
    The reason why Rip recommends the low-bar squat using a shoulder width stance is because it uses the most muscle mass during execution of the movement. It has more hamstring/posterior chain involvement than a high-bar, narrower stance squat (which is more quad-intensive). Is that what you mean?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    The reason why Rip recommends the low-bar squat using a shoulder width stance is because it uses the most muscle mass during execution of the movement. It has more hamstring/posterior chain involvement than a high-bar, narrower stance squat (which is more quad-intensive). Is that what you mean?
    Yes, as lately was looking at Very wide stance of PL squats. When I first started, I actually tried to do this stance (many years ago) that Ricky Crain used but just did not work for me then, So the last few months been re-experimenting, checking out the vids (here and else where, like Kaz's style) now, seem to have found the middle ground for gaining more ground. Looking back at my comp photos, it seems I was too narrow (I had no coach and trained by books only). Also as I was in a BB gym which done narrow stance.

Now chomping at the bit to get back in the gym tonight, stop experimenting as it seems now the stance is right, just need to squat with more hip drive and put the Kilos on.