starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean Form Check for Grappler

Default Power Clean Form Check for Grappler

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    So I am a grappler trying to get stronger for BJJ. Here is where my powerclean is at right now. I think my biggest weakness is speed on the 2nd pull and making sure I hit the jumping point exactly every time. However you guys are the experts so let's see what you guys think. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZPuSZPdiPc&t=22
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uPJ1-90tPg&t=31
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apHLYFnqtzw&t=10

vids are private

They should be fixed now, sorry about that.

You're jumping with bent elbows. It looks like you may be pulling around your knees a little and bending your elbows in the process. You may also be gripping the bar too tight. Think about relaxing your arms and use the hook grip if you aren't.

It's hard to tell from the angle, but you may not be out in front of the bar enough at setup. It should be a deadlift off the floor.

Have you gone through the learning process step by step? Focus on the steps of jumping with the empty bar and keeping your elbows locked and starting from mid shin, deadlifting the bar VERY SLOWLY, and then cleaning it.

We really need a diagonal or side view to help more.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanR View Post
    You're jumping with bent elbows. It looks like you may be pulling around your knees a little and bending your elbows in the process. You may also be gripping the bar too tight. Think about relaxing your arms and use the hook grip if you aren't.

It's hard to tell from the angle, but you may not be out in front of the bar enough at setup. It should be a deadlift off the floor.

Have you gone through the learning process step by step? Focus on the steps of jumping with the empty bar and keeping your elbows locked and starting from mid shin, deadlifting the bar VERY SLOWLY, and then cleaning it.
    Yeah I tried going through the top down method of learning it. I will try to keep my elbows locked, I did not notice that. I was trying not to grip the bar too hard in fear of using my arms to muscle up the weight but I will try the hook grip and hopefully it will help. In my set up I try to keep my shoulders over the bar or slightly past, with a better angle you can see this. Did the actual extension portion seem correct though?

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    We really need a diagonal or side view to help more.
    OK I felt like a cat's ass today, but I will go to the gym tomorrow and film from "10'o clock".

So here is today's final set of power cleans. I felt I jacked up the form on a couple of the last reps so I did a few extra. I tried to stay over the bar and keep a looser grip. I also tried to keep my arms straight but you tell me if it is so. I feel like my "explosion" is not right. I feel like I may be able to get more out of the hip extension than I am but I have a problem doing it. Thanks for the help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqpevvluE4A&t=20

starting strength coach development program
    Still jumping with bent elbows. If you pause it right before the jump you can see this. You can also click on the video and then use your space bar to pause and unpause to give a slow-mo effect.

Rotate your elbows in and think about your arms as ropes hanging from your shoulders. Start it slower from the bottom for a few reps, or better yet go through the top down learning process again.