starting strength gym

Thread: Practical Programming: Page 86 - Rep Schemes

Default Practical Programming: Page 86 - Rep Schemes

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I know that stupidity is frowned upon here, but I'm hoping you (or anyone) can help relieve me of my ignorance.

I've been doing starting strength in my garage for a few month and I'm loving the results. I wanted to get stronger and especially more powerful - for my martial arts. It's also helped my back a LOT.( I used to hurt my back bending over to put my son in his car seat...)

Anyway, the actual question. Why a five rep range for SS? Is it solely to include some degree of 'endurance' adaption to the program? Strength adaptation, Power adaptation, Neuromuscular adaptation, Myofibril Hypertrophy, ATP-CP etc, all of these goals seem to be better served by the 3 rep range, which is in the black zone.

Since my knowledge about strength training comes from what you've written and a few articles on the internet, I'm pretty sure you know more about this than I do. So I'm not criticising the way the program is structured I just want to understand it better.

(I've just re-read the section in SS and you state that rep scheme depends on the adaptation desired, and that 5 is good for most people)

I must have Practical Programming 1 (got it at a garage sale - SCORE!). The page numbers you quote on the other thread don't relate to this question. That or I'm too stupid to make the connection.

You make a good point though. I'll do more research : re-read PP and SS, Extensive googling of the threads, asking guys at the gym (no, wait; just the first two) I might even pick up a book or two.