starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benches

Default Benches

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Does anyone have a York ST flat/incline bench? Any comments about it would be helpful. Found one on sale with free shipping for $320.00

Quote Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
    Does anyone have a York ST flat/incline bench? Any comments about it would be helpful. Found one on sale with free shipping for $320.00
    I was talked out of that, bought the Legend 3103 instead. It's more money, but for more bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I was talked out of that, bought the Legend 3103 instead. It's more money, but for more bench.
    How do you like it? That thing is $550+, right? I wish I had one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    How do you like it? That thing is $550+, right? I wish I had one of those!

Yeah, it was just north of $600 delivered. Couldn't be happier with it. It did arrive with a bent cam, which they replaced immediately (shipped the same day I called, 2-day express). Buy nice, don't buy twice. I'll never need to replace it.

It is a bit of a bear to move around the gym, since I have to lift it on and off the platform, and its sturdy design results in a weight damn near 100 lbs, but that's just part of the warm-up now.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Maybe one day I'll buy the adjustable bench. The flat bench they make, while simple, is very nice.
    At least your chaise lounge inclines, right?

Yeah, it was just north of $600 delivered. Couldn't be happier with it. It did arrive with a bent cam, which they replaced immediately (shipped the same day I called, 2-day express). Buy nice, don't buy twice. I'll never need to replace it.

It is a bit of a bear to move around the gym, since I have to lift it on and off the platform, and its sturdy design results in a weight damn near 100 lbs, but that's just part of the warm-up now.
    I may be wrong, but it looks like the pad portion could wobble side to side when doing heavy benches and inclines. The hinge doesn't seem substantial, and when fully lowered the pad rests on only one point at the top... My old bench has a hinge that is the full width of the pad and sits on two points on the top and IMO could still be stiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I may be wrong, but it looks like the pad portion could wobble side to side when doing heavy benches and inclines. The hinge doesn't seem substantial, and when fully lowered the pad rests on only one point at the top... My old bench has a hinge that is the full width of the pad and sits on two points on the top and IMO could still be stiffer.
    The Rogue adjustable looks to have a wider base for the pad adjuster. The two are the same price.

I have the rogue utility and the iron master bench. I really hate the seat on the iron master and it is too tall. Walking back heavy dumbbells on to this thing is not fun. It's very sturdy though.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    You understand that I have this bench in my possession right now, yes? I'm telling you there's no wobble, no instability, and you could park a truck on top of it without it flexing noticeably.

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    The Rogue adjustable looks to have a wider base for the pad adjuster. The two are the same price.
    The Rogue is like $150 more, no?

And the Legend comes in your choice of several fancy colors.

starting strength coach development program
    The Rogue is like $150 more, no?

And the Legend comes in your choice of several fancy colors.
    This one is $815:

AB-2 Adjustable Bench - Weight Training - Rogue Fitness

This one is $545 (before shipping) + $131 (shipped to me):

Rogue Adjustable Bench 2.0 | Rogue Fitness

Frankly, I'm not so sure I want everything in my basement to have ROGUE plastered all over it. Barbells, barbell rack, bumpers, utility bench. . . . They make some good stuff, but I feel like the victim of clever marketing when I see labels plastered all around. I considered painting over the ROGUE on my utility bench, but it will kill the resell value. If I plan on keeping it I'll probably paint over the name. . .

In any case, the $545 adjustable bench from Rogue looks very good. And you can have it in any color you want as long as it's black. . . . . The Legend looks very attractive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast