starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused on what shoes to get

Default Confused on what shoes to get

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello everyone, recently I've been trying to get more involved in this forum and more serious about my weightlifting. I posted a form check video for my squats a few days ago and the main suggestion that I got was to get some shoes (as well as TUBOW). I currently do my entire workout in Chucks (not even the classic chucks, so they're probably even worse/squishier).

Here is the link to my form from last friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g2FGCx7l2A

Based on my form do I need shoes with a slight heel? Or could I get something like the SABO deadlifting shoes: SABO Deadlift Lifting shoes by SABO | MAXbarbell LLC
    and get the benefits of stability and support. It seems to me that I do not have much trouble getting depth in the squat and the added versatility of a flat bottom shoe that can be used for deadlifting and other lifts appeals to me.

What would be the downside of getting these shoes as compared to a shoe with a heel. If you think that I really should get a shoe with a heel, any suggestions would be helpful. Also, how should I determine which ones fit me the best? How tight should they be?

Thank you very much. I am sure that a lot of this has been discussed here on the forum before and I apologize. I tried to find answers to some of these questions but could not. For the life of me I could not get the search bar on this website to load, and google results for startingstrength.com wasn't particularly helpful.

#canteven

My apologies, just read the sticky. Here is the suggested information.

Sex: M
    Weight (in kg or lbs, most members are not British): 150 lbs
    height:5'9
    Squat max or current working weight and reps: 245x1x5
    Bench press ' ' :165x3x5
    Deadlift ' ' : 255x1x5
    Press ' ' :100x1x5
    Power clean ' ' : 135x5x3
    General description of training history: SL for 3 months. SS Since end of July. Beginning to transition to intermediate programming.
    Any special diet and whether you are currently gaining or losing weight: Gaining
    Major goals and concerns: Get stronger, be/stay lean(medium term goal)

Take your shoe money and spend it at the buffet line.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinhugga View Post
    Hello everyone, recently I've been trying to get more involved in this forum and more serious about my weightlifting. I posted a form check video for my squats a few days ago and the main suggestion that I got was to get some shoes (as well as TUBOW). I currently do my entire workout in Chucks (not even the classic chucks, so they're probably even worse/squishier).

Here is the link to my form from last friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g2FGCx7l2A

Based on my form do I need shoes with a slight heel? Or could I get something like the SABO deadlifting shoes: SABO Deadlift Lifting shoes by SABO | MAXbarbell LLC
    and get the benefits of stability and support. It seems to me that I do not have much trouble getting depth in the squat and the added versatility of a flat bottom shoe that can be used for deadlifting and other lifts appeals to me.

What would be the downside of getting these shoes as compared to a shoe with a heel. If you think that I really should get a shoe with a heel, any suggestions would be helpful. Also, how should I determine which ones fit me the best? How tight should they be?

Thank you very much. I am sure that a lot of this has been discussed here on the forum before and I apologize. I tried to find answers to some of these questions but could not. For the life of me I could not get the search bar on this website to load, and google results for startingstrength.com wasn't particularly helpful.
    When you're told to "get shoes" around here, it means real weightlifting shoes, with a heel. The Sabo deadlifts are basically a wrestling shoe with a strap. I own a pair, and I like them for deadlifts in competition, but I wouldn't squat in them, personally, and the vast majority of people who've tried doing their squat in proper, heeled, weightlifting shoes greatly prefer them, in my experience.

There are plenty of options out there for proper weightlifting shoes, and we've discussed most of them here dozens of times. My personal favorite is the Adidas Power Perfect II. Wei Rui Warriors are a popular low-budget option. Nike Romaleos are a popular high-budget option. Ristos. VS Athletics. Pendlay Do-Wins. Even 1 or 2 of the Inov-8 shoes (335's or something?) have non-compressible soles with a heel to toe drop somewhere in the 3/4" range. I'm sure I'm forgetting several.

SEARCH

Search the site to see whether your question has been answered before. To do so:
    Go to google.com.

Enter "site:startingstrength.com YOUR SEARCH TERMS" into the search box.
    Last edited by Str8shutr; 10-19-2015 at 07:15 AM.

I didn't read your thread, but will tell you that I have a pair of 11.5 WeiRu VXIII that I only wore 2-3 times and will sell to you for a good price. They were a little too big for me in the toebox area.

Thank you very much for the helpful advice Adam. I will look more into some of your suggestions.

As to the other posters, Karl, I have an unlimited meal plan and am taking full advantage.

Str8shutr, I did exactly that and as far as using deadlifting shoes for squatting, I did not return helpful results. Perhaps it was my search terms but everything was about what shoes to use for deadlifting.

Perhaps this will help. I'm not sure which to buy either. I've been lifting in New Balance minimus shoes. They are starting to sprout holes. Time to upgrade. . .

https://medium.com/olympic-weightlif...e-7691ff532608

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinhugga View Post
    Thank you very much for the helpful advice Adam. I will look more into some of your suggestions.

As to the other posters, Karl, I have an unlimited meal plan and am taking full advantage.

Str8shutr, I did exactly that and as far as using deadlifting shoes for squatting, I did not return helpful results. Perhaps it was my search terms but everything was about what shoes to use for deadlifting.
    The reason for my reply is that you are worrying about the height of the heel when there is a very obvious flaw in your programming, namely, that you aren't eating enough. Nobody at 5'9 and 150lbs should be contemplating intermediate programming, unless he is very old or a woman.

Yeah, get some shoes. The heel height won't matter. If you got stronger, it might matter, but you aren't strong yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast