starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desperately slow bench progress...

Unhappy Desperately slow bench progress...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Stats
    Weight:70kg
    Currently benching:52.5kg

Is it normal when I'm increasing the bench weight (by 2.5kg or 5lbs) that I can never do it 3x5 first time... or second time either. I always start of grinding out 3x3 then like today I grinded 52.5kg for 5 reps the first set but ended up only doing three reps for the other two. At this rate takes like 3 weeks to fully achieve 3x5 on a new weight. I don't know what's going on anymore

Quote Originally Posted by JakubM View Post
    Stats

Is it normal when I'm increasing the bench weight (by 2.5kg or 5lbs) that I can never do it 3x5 first time... or second time either. I always start of grinding out 3x3 then like today I grinded 52.5kg for 5 reps the first set but ended up only doing three reps for the other two. At this rate takes like 3 weeks to fully achieve 3x5 on a new weight. I don't know what's going on anymore
    Why not increase them by 1.25kg or 2.5lbs (or even .625kg or 1.25 lbs) instead of 2.5/5?

Also, you're 14. Do you shave yet? When will you weigh 90 kg?

Stats

Hey.

It might enlighten us as to what advice to give you, based on some background, specifically on your reasons for strength training. Are you a high school athlete for example, are you training for a sport, for fun, etc?

Don't worry about it your 14 years old, I wish I knew about this programme when I was 14 instead of wasting my time doing copious amounts of bicep curls and crunches. Take weight off the bar practice perfect form and bar path and when the bar is moving at a good speed through 3x5 move up, if your grinding through virtually every rep of every set it's going to be counterproductive. And eat a lot more don't be scared to put on some weight.

You probably need to eat more. I commented on your bench press form check thread over a month ago and you are only a little over 5lbs heavier. For reference, I went from 165 to 215 in under 3 months. That's nearly 5lbs a week. I've now dialed back eating and have maintained 215 for another couple of months. My bench went from 95lbs to 205 in that time. Press and Bench are 2 lifts that I feel are hugely influenced by eating. I can't lift big if I don't eat big. Perhaps you're the same way.
    Last edited by Jacobnorton; 10-20-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobnorton View Post
    You probably need to eat more. I commented on your bench press form check thread over a month ago and you are only a little over 5lbs heavier. For reference, I went from 165 to 215 in under 3 months. That's nearly 5lbs a week. I've now dialed back eating and have maintained 215 for another couple of months. My bench went from 95lbs to 205 in that time. Press and Bench are 2 lifts that I feel are hugely influenced by eating. I can't lift big if I don't eat big. Perhaps you're the same way.
    You're almost my twin. I started at 170, ate and lifted to 210. I bench 205 this week.

Stats

What are your numbers for the squat, deadlift, and press between when you started and now?

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    You're almost my twin. I started at 170, ate and lifted to 210. I bench 205 this week.
    Do you have a beard? Can you ride a unicycle? That would be freaky.

Default Desperately slow bench progress...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobnorton View Post
    Do you have a beard? Can you ride a unicycle? That would be freaky.
    Lol. No to both. I couldn't grow a beard if I wanted to. I'm lucky to get peach fuzz. FML.

starting strength coach development program
    Is it normal when I'm increasing the bench weight (by 2.5kg or 5lbs) that I can never do it 3x5 first time... or second time either.
    Microload, microload, microload. Try 1kg increases. If you don't have microplates make some with washers. The program does not recommend LP'ing your bench with 5lb jumps for a reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast