starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: introducing back extensions

Default introducing back extensions

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all,
    I'm at the point in the novice program where I am introducing back extensions. Tonight.
    On my last workout, I missed the last rep on my third work set for squats. First time ever since doing linear progression. I think I need to introduce the assistance exercise. No?
    I will reset back 10 lbs tonight on the squat.

For context:
    BW: 187 lbs
    Height: 5'-10".
    BF% ~ 22% (I get this estimate by the "photograph" method I found here
    Began SS: 8/5/15 (with a one-month hiatus 9-11 to 10-10 while recovering from surgery and building a basement gym)

Working sets (lbs):
    SQ: 180
    Press: 85
    Bench: 130
    DL: 225
    PwrClean: 80

I searched the book and these forums for how many sets and reps to do for back extensions. If there already is a thread with this, then pointing me to it is appreciated. So, what's the recommendation? How many reps/set? how many sets? With added weight? Do I need to attempt any linear progression (in reps and/or weight) in the novice phase?

Thanks!
    Last edited by JCR; 10-26-2015 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added additional information (BF%, height, and reason for believing I needed back extensions)

Thanks, Allen.

Height: 5'-10".
    BF% ~ 22% (I get this estimate by the "photograph" method I found here

On my last workout, I missed the last rep on my third work set for squats. First time ever since doing linear progression. I think I need to introduce the assistance exercise. No?
    I will reset back 10 lbs tonight on the squat.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Agreed--looks a little early for back extensions.

Back extensions are supposed to be higher rep. The purpose is to add volume that won't tax your recovery for the bigger lifts--in theory, you could cut them out entirely and I'm not sure you'd see a meaningful difference. You use added weight if bodyweight is too easy.

JCR:

calories? protein? sleep?

me thinks you can do better on the squat

I'm amazed that what his body fat percentage or how many grams of protein he eats are considered relevant pieces of information. OP, you can do back extensions whenever you want. However, the argument against them has nothing to do with your level of training advancement, nor your triglyceride levels, nor your most recent Bristol stool scale score. The reason you may choose not to do back extensions is that they don't seem to be very important for driving progress on the big lifts and they can bother your back if you are prone to such things.

. . .the reason for him adding the back extensions was his lack of progress on the squat.

. . .I doubt his squat isn't progressing (in his case), due to lack of back extension stimulus/exercise.

. . .I humbly suspect "other things" are getting in the way of his squat progress.

I missed the part of his second reply where he suggested he needed assistance, so some of this makes more sense. However, sometimes stuff doesn't need to be so complicated.

Thanks all for the responses!

So, in the aggregate of all the responses so far, looks like I can just skip the back extensions. Focus on the squat itself. Ok, so I will not set back 10 lbs. I will try 180 again, and if I succeed on all 5 reps of the third set, I'll continue my 5 lb increases.

I am not sleeping well lately due to the latest addition to the family. Baby daughter has had some sinus infections for the last month making an already bad sleeper toddler even worse.

I am eating considerably more than before, though not quite GOMAD level stuff (I'm just not in the "demographic" for that). But I do drink 32 ounces of whole milk a day now; which is an infinity % increase with respect to what I drank before SS.

in believe the OP is earnest, and honestly asking for advice that he'll follow.
    So this next part doesn't pertain to him.

But most times these stalling-way-too-quickly threads don't end well,
    someone needs to come up with a decision-tree like for DYEL broscience guy.
    Could be be like a J.D.T.F.P (just do the f'g program) . . .
    Or could make one for GOMAD (since that's so complicated evidently).

Some of the deadend branches could be : "I get plenty of protein a day, a whole 70 grams, all of it soy" or "I replaced squats and deads w/ trap bar lifts"

Maybe good project for MuscloTonto or . . .me?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    Thanks all for the responses!

So, in the aggregate of all the responses so far, looks like I can just skip the back extensions. Focus on the squat itself. Ok, so I will not set back 10 lbs. I will try 180 again, and if I succeed on all 5 reps of the third set, I'll continue my 5 lb increases.

I am not sleeping well lately due to the latest addition to the family. Baby daughter has had some sinus infections for the last month making an already bad sleeper toddler even worse.

I am eating considerably more than before, though not quite GOMAD level stuff (I'm just not in the "demographic" for that). But I do drink 32 ounces of whole milk a day now; which is an infinity % increase with respect to what I drank before SS.
    you're right about the gomad thing.
    BUT . . .how many grams of protein do you think a day?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast