starting strength gym

Thread: Looking for a good lower back warm up routine

Default Looking for a good lower back warm up routine

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello
    I'm looking for a warm up routine for the lower back to get myself ready for a 5x5 volume squat in texas method. Would be nice if they could include some foam rolling since I've got it in my gym.

Thanks in advance

Squats with the empty bar, and then ascending sets of squats up to your work weight.

I like to warm up with moderate 500m row, but if that's not available to you... see Karl's recommendation above.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Squats with the empty bar, and then ascending sets of squats up to your work weight.
    I'm already doing that but I still got lower back pains during squats. They got worth after switching from bill starr's 5x5 to Texas. I've always done warm up sets with empty bar and linear progression till my working sets (about 4-5 sets before I get to workout weight) and it didn't fix the lower back pain issue. After adding some static stretches and foam rolling in the beginning of the workout it helped though but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

Sounds like your low back is moving during your squats. Especially since some of the feedback from the form check you posted was to continue working on keeping your low back tight.

Pain is an injury or poor form, not lack of warm up...unless you're totally retarded and start squatting 315 cold or something like that.

Do the empty bar until you are warm and then add the other warm up sets. The empty bar gets you loose and the others acclimate you to more weight.

I foam roll my legs glutes back, scorpions, cat cows, fire hydrants, bird dogs, dumbbell press, and then squat the empty bar.

starting strength coach development program
    There are a ton of great dynamic warm ups on YouTube. Try agile 8 or limber 11.