starting strength gym

Thread: Extra Power Cleans?

Default Extra Power Cleans?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm brand spanking new to power cleans, like 1 workout new. Is there anything wrong with doing extra power cleans on days that do not call for them if I do them at a light weight (i.e. the bar plus 5 pound training plates) just so I can rehearse the movement pattern?

Extra super light cleans aren't going to drive improvement. It's also real easy to do super light cleans really wrong and not notice because you a) get away with the rack anyway and b) don't get enough feedback from the weight during the movement.

It depends on where you are in your training, but a better option would be something like adding extra clean training at weights you can keep technique together. You can do this as warmups for deadlifts, or just as an add on. You might do this for several as perfect as possible singles - clean practise - at a weight that you might have done at the normal clean day as triples.

But say your deadlift is about 335 and you cleaned, say 115-135 on your first clean day, then forget about 55# cleans.

Okay. I'm just trying to figure somewhere to work in some more because I'm not sure once a week will be enough for me to really learn it. I'll experiment with doing them as deadlift warmups and see how it goes.