starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1x5 deadlifts too much for me?

Default 1x5 deadlifts too much for me?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    im finding that i can deadlift about 40 or 50 pounds more than i can squat, but i cant do them in a 1x5 set. it takes too much out of me and i have to do 5 singles with some rest between. if i lower the weight so i can do a continuous set like the other exercises, than it feels like im wasting my potential and my squat will just go higher than my deadlift which i hear is not good. should i change deadlifts to 1x3 so i can do a properly timed set?

How much are you deadlifting, how much do you weigh and how often do you deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by WildPegasus View Post
    How much are you deadlifting, how much do you weigh and how often do you deadlift?
    i weigh about 172, squat 265, and deadlift 305. all in pounds. i eat a lot and make sure i get enough protein and recover but i think my body just favors certain lifts over others. i really want to have a big deadlift and make sure i put a lot of effort, but i just cant handle them like above said.

Drink your milk, change a dry diaper and go lift the barbell. Always try eating before thinking about anything else.

People vary in how well they DL vs squat and how well they recover. Once you get to a certain level, you have to make adjustments that work for you.
    Case in point, I DL 100+ lb more than I squat. I rarely do a max 5 pull. Tow weeks ago 2 sets of 3, last week 3 singles.

manisstrong Guest

If you can't get it for a set of 5, it's too heavy to do for the SS program. Deload, build back up.

As already asked, how often do you deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    As already asked, how often do you deadlift?
    Also, who is your daddy, and what does he do?

I know some people around here are of the opinion that if you let go of the bar it's no longer a set. I say bullshit. You can let go of the bar (what's the difference if you are hanging on to the bar or not?!), catch your breath and psyche up again, as long you don't take more than a count of 5 or 10 between reps.

starting strength coach development program
    If you can't do a 1x5 set of DLs, then you can't deadlift 40 or 50 pounds more than you can squat. What are your warm-up sets like, how long do you rest between sets, and how often do you DL?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast