starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pain levels

Default Pain levels

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I just listened to your podcast about StrengthCon II and the mention of pain levels got me thinking as many do about how words just don't do levels justice.

So:

Faces of pain levels.jpg

Do you think people can now relate to those levels and why anyone calmly telling you they are at pain level 8 is clueless about pain levels?

Do you see why RPE is bullshit too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sometimes my warm-ups squats feel like an RPE of 10 and then my actual working sets feel like an RPE of 10.
    Other times rep 2 or 3 feels like there is no possible way I can get another rep in but I try any way and manage to finish all 5.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    Sometimes my warm-ups squats feel like an RPE of 10 and then my actual working sets feel like an RPE of 10.
    Other times rep 2 or 3 feels like there is no possible way I can get another rep in but I try any way and manage to finish all 5.
    Precisely. Alchemist, post a bigger picture of this chart, or the link.

Well bugger, it shrank it. Let me dive in to figure out if I can upload the full size image.....hrm, I bet that search feature might be handy

Well, that failed. Would someone show me the obvious and tell me how to attach a larger photo? I tried again, I saw it upload a ~12 MB image and then it converted it to a tiny kb image. Sorry for being dense.

How about just posting the link?

How about just posting the link?
    There is no link. I made it.

Precisely.
    whats also interesting is that while going through an LP I was pretty much always at an RPE 10. 275 was an RPE 10, 315, 365, 405...all RPE 10's. Even when I hit a wall and have to reset 10% those lower working sets feel like an RPE 10. If I was to gauge my progress on how I felt, I probably wouldn't of got very far. I'm not sure how someone would know how to move forward. How about if I had a shitty day at work or didn't eat very well? Do you only increase the weight when the shit feels light? I'm not an advanced lifter and I still haven't been able to reach a 500lb squat so maybe when I get there It will make sense to me.

starting strength coach development program
    RPE seems stupid to me because it is based on feelings. Feelings have never been known to be an accurate indicator of anything. We don't use feelings to perform science, math, or any kind of experiment that I know of. Feelings are great for promoting obesity, addiction, lazyness, and every other vice. All things that feel good in the short term but cause harm later on. Feelings are illogical, therefore RPE based training is illogical. Illogical is wrong. RPE is wrong!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast