starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check requested

Default Squat form check requested

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have been lifting pretty steady since Dec (3x's a week) with a week off due a minor back injury and two weeks off due so hip pain. After both injuries I de-loaded and gradually ramped up the weight.

I had my squat up to 265 when I hurt my right hip, specifically the front of the rig hip.

I am wondering if my squat technique might be the cause of the injury. So I am posting a video from my first day back at the gym (lifting 225lbs) in hopes that some more experienced lifters might give me some advice on how to improve my technique.

Last edited by therealtony; 07-04-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Trying to fix YouTube link

Is the youtube link showing up? I tried to check out the posting on my iPhone and I didn't see the youtube video, is there a step I might of missed?

Yes, I can see the video. When one embeds a video, it does not show up on most mobile browsers/smartphones, so it's a good idea to always include a direct link, in addition to embedding.

The major thing that I see is that you are not hitting depth. These look like 3/4 squats to me. To check, take a video from waist level, 90 degree angle - this is the best angle for judging depth. Also, is your stance perhaps too wide?

thanks for responding!

I was coming back form a two week lay off, so I will work on my depth, I will also try to narrow my stance a bit and shoot my next work out from a 90 degree angle.