starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check for a female lifter

Default Squat form check for a female lifter

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Would appreciate feedback on my squat. I'm supplying a side angle since I'd like to get comments on knee positioning, depth and hip drive.

I do focus on shoving the knees out at the bottom, and on the way up as well. It looks like the first rep is good, but then things get a bit looser?

This is set 2 of 4 at 140 lb (I'm doing 4X3 on my squat):

http://youtu.be/KglUI3SqP_U

For reference, I'm 5'5, 125 lb. I'm squatting with a shim under my left foot due to a leg length discrepancy.

Thank you!

The last two are (a little) high. I'd need to look at a different angle to see if your stance width / foot position is OK. If they are, we'd tell you to jam your knees out a little bit harder. On the way up, I prefer to have trainees think KEEP knees out. I find this helps convey the concept of stability that is needed in the knee in the bottom 1/3 of the squat.

These squats are, by the way, quite good. The first rep is pretty much textbook.

Things to improve: knee stability during the bottom third of the squat. FIX your knees in position and keep them there. You'll find that thinkig about keeping your knees still improves your hip drive. If you watch, you'll note that during the set the stability of your knees degrades as you get deeper into the set. On your last rep, you let your torso angle degrade a little too much. Concentrate on these things as you get deeper into your sets.

The last two were high? Really?

Nah, I just said it because I wanted to troll you.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Nah, I just said it because I wanted to troll you.
    Do you need to pass a humor exam as well as the platform and written ones to become a staff coach?

Well done, Steve.

You have to have a sense of humor to be around Rip, otherwise you don't last long.

You have to have a sense of humor to be around Rip, otherwise you don't last long.
    This, I can understand.

If you watch, you'll note that during the set the stability of your knees degrades as you get deeper into the set. On your last rep, you let your torso angle degrade a little too much. Concentrate on these things as you get deeper into your sets.
    Steve, thanks for the review/feedback. This has been an adjustment on the form for me. I used to squat mostly by sitting back, with shins too vertical. This now feels almost like squatting *forward.* Good to hear that I am finally getting it.

I did notice the knees but did not catch the change the back angle on the last rep. Is this what's called "GM-ing" your squats?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kessg View Post
    Steve, thanks for the review/feedback. This has been an adjustment on the form for me. I used to squat mostly by sitting back, with shins too vertical. This now feels almost like squatting *forward.* Good to hear that I am finally getting it.

I did notice the knees but did not catch the change the back angle on the last rep. Is this what's called "GM-ing" your squats?
    No, not really, but it's getting close and will turn into that if you're not careful.