starting strength gym

Thread: Who do you follow?

Default Who do you follow?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ripp,

I recently read a headline for a medical review titled, "Muscular strength as a strong predictor of mortality: A narrative review". I thought about you, since I recently purchased your books and I'm currently mainlining your podcasts.

The link was shared by Dr. Rhonda Patrick on FoundMyFitness.com. Like you, she is someone I respect as a purveyor of truth and an unabashed geek when it comes to maximizing genetic potential.

Her takeaways after reading the aforementioned medical review:
    • Muscle strength can be important for healthspan.
    • Muscular strength is independently associated with lower all-cause mortality risk even after adjusting for cardiorespiratory fitness and other factors such as age, body fat, smoking, and alcohol intake.
    • The higher mortality risk associated with decreased levels of muscular strength is similar to well-established risk factors for early death such as obesity, hypertension or smoking. Maintaining muscle mass and strength through various forms of strength training may be a modifiable risk factor for all-cause mortality.

I'm sure these are laughably obvious points to you, but I shared them anyways in case you were not aware of the medical review. The 2nd point is most interesting to me as it shows that muscular strength is independent of cardiorespiratory fitness, which something you've been preaching on your podcasts and it flies in the face of conventional wisdom.

My question for you: Who are the truth tellers/interesting people that you follow on the inter-webs? Political, health, social, or otherwise.

I like Taleb, Peterson, Limbaugh, Williamson, and Glenn Reynolds's blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I like Taleb, Peterson, Limbaugh, Williamson, and Glenn Reynolds's blog.
    Thanks for the reply. I just listened to Peterson's recent book. The guy's thoughts are fascinating. I've enjoyed him introducing Nietzsche and Jung to me, even though I did not have a predilection for them. One of my favorite quotes is Peterson's paraphrase of Jung's thoughts on alchemists, "That what you most need will be found where you least want to look."

I'm familiar with everyone else except for Glenn Reynolds. I'll have to check him out. Considering your choices, I would recommend listening to Scott Adams' periscope videos. The guy is brillant and has a unique perspective. Thank again for the reply. Also, thanks for sharing your knowledge of strength training. Best regards.