starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Alternative

Default Squat Alternative

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've tried searching to no avail.

I had rotator cuff surgery a little while ago and I'm dealing with inflexibility and less than full range of motion.

My shoulder is getting better but I still can't get under that bar without serious pain.

What is the best thing i can do in the meantime until I can get under the bar? Thanks

I'm no expert, but have recently gone through 3 separate (yet equally stupid) shoulder injuries. None of which can be blamed on LP.

Shoulder Rehab | Mark Rippetoe
    This video is gold.
    I hung motorcycle straps to a bar from my Rack to do this. (I did not have gymnastic rings hanging from my garage ceiling)

Dead lifts, on my first two I just dead lifted every session when I couldn't squat.

On my third injury... I bought a Rogue SB-1 (aka safety squat bar), so I could continue to squat. I like it it helped.
    There are a couple of other good bars. It was like $400 plus $80 shipping. I'm happy with it. It allowed me to roll my back squat in much earlier. I bought it more for that "next injury" than the current one. I also have a daughter with a shoulder injury.

Meshuggah has this one:
    I have the older version of this one... IIS 7.5 Detailed Error - 404.0 - Not Found
    (an older Elite FTS Yoke Bar ( SS Bar).)
    He mentioned 3 in a post I can't find, including the Elite FTS and my SB-1.

Camber is important. It feels much more like a high bar squat, and there is an Odd "push forward" as you go up. (aka keep weight on your heels) You don't notice the push until you have some plates on.
    They are longer than you expect and much more awkward... especially with a hurt shoulder.

I had to build a rack to hold bars because of this purchase... still worth it to me.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/AJ...=w1268-h950-no

If you have access to a Trap Bar, Deficit Trap Bar Deadlifts work the quads quite nicely.

I do have access to a trap bar.

I'm a newly hired employee at my local athletic club and my old gym didn't have one.

I was thinking this would be the best but I wanted to hear other experiences. Thanks.

Trap Bar Deadlifts are a very underrated exercise, I should use mine more than I do. If the one you are going to use has raised handles, flip it over and use the normal
    handles for the best range of motion. For deficits you can stand on something or use smaller plates. (35's, 25's, etc...)
    Best of luck to you.

There's always hip belt squats. The set up can be tricky, but they work the legs hard.

Can you high-bar squat or front squat?

Safety squat bar is an expensive alternative. You can also google "dougie straps" for a cheap macgyver solution.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by m_sporkboy View Post
    Can you high-bar squat or front squat?

Safety squat bar is an expensive alternative. You can also google "dougie straps" for a cheap macgyver solution.
    I'll look into it. Thanks