starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check update

Default Squat form check update

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Was gonna bump my initial form check from 11/26 but thread was closed.

I had reset down to 135 as my form felt fucked, I've added 10lbs every session over the last two weeks. These are 195. A few seem on the edge of too high, I try to video every set to make sure I'm getting depth, easy to do since I'm now lifting at home, love it. This was my 3rd set. Angle isn't the best sorry, just set this up and need to reorganize a bit.

Also wondering if I should start with 5lb increases, feels about time but wondering if I should keep pushing 10lb increases. I'm in week 5 and according to the book I think it's about time.

My shoulders are feeling better every session but still fly high, not sure if that is a concern but I just can't get them down. 48yrs old with arthritis issues making it hard. Trying.

Thanks again.

YouTube

The earlier reps do look borderline on depth but the last couple seem OK. You need to lean over more, look down, and drive your hips - all three are lacking and all three will help with your squat tremendously. I can't see bar position or upper back at all here, but I can see how if you have truly arthritic shoulders, bar position could be an issue and this often prevents people from leaning over as they should. I do recommend switching to 5 lb jumps at this point, and making absolutely sure you get to depth every rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    The earlier reps do look borderline on depth but the last couple seem OK. You need to lean over more, look down, and drive your hips - all three are lacking and all three will help with your squat tremendously. I can't see bar position or upper back at all here, but I can see how if you have truly arthritic shoulders, bar position could be an issue and this often prevents people from leaning over as they should. I do recommend switching to 5 lb jumps at this point, and making absolutely sure you get to depth every rep.
    Thanks Mike, will work on all this and check back in 2 weeks.

Sounds good, but who's Mike?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Sounds good, but who's Mike?!?
    sorry bad habit, I'll play it safe and go with Wolf or coach going forward.

I found the following which discusses the shoulder/elbow issue quite well (The Elbow Problem | Jordan Feigenbaum).
    In my case it isn't a matter of misunderstanding, I can't crank them down. Any suggesting on corrective measures, stretches? something I can work on?

I do shoulder dislocations and stretch out the rack position during warm ups. Wondering what you have seen be successful.

thx

starting strength coach development program
    Since I can't really see your grip width, I'm assuming you're gripping as wide as the rack allows? Dislocations, the stretch shown in the video below, and double overhand dead hangs from the pullup bar are all useful.