starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermediate on presses / late novice weight gain

Default Intermediate on presses / late novice weight gain

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi chaps,
    Hope y'all are having a festive time, if that's what you're into!

I've been a novice now for a little over a year (should be finished by now, but been two or three resets along the way). I feel like a true novice on the lower body lifts, but my presses are progressing much slower -- each 1-1.5kg increment is taking about 3 or so attempts to achieve. I'm still doing 3 sets of 5, should I

a) switch to 5 sets of 3? 3 sets of 3? I trained triples and doubles on the press over the summer, found it easier to progress but not sure it had much training effect.
    b) use intermediate programming? Which is more suitable, Texas method or HLM?
    c) ramp up assisstance work? I currently do very occassional curls to combat bicep tendonitis, but I chin regularly. Aiming for a decent number of overall reps so I use sets of 5 but I could proabably amrap at least 7.
    d) something else?!

I'm 37, 100kg, current lifts are 135kg squat, 145kg dead, 50kg press, 78.5kg bench. I've gradually put on 10kg of body-weight over the last year, feel pretty fat though (have been my whole life). Should I get heavier? Is there a way to proceed at the same bodyweight? Squats feel pretty solid at the moment. I'm planning to run a 10k with my wife in March, would be nice to get round in less than an hour -- I'm certain a lighter bodyweight would help most with that, but lifting takes priority.
    For cardio, I cycle 5 days a week between 10 and 40 miles; I'll be adding a couple of runs (maybe one long run and one set of hill sprints per week) in February. Is it worth doing HIIT in January? I enjoy (if that's the right word) the C2 rower, also my gym has a stairmaster, is that good?

Thanks guys.

Why do you do the cycling?

To get to work.

Obviously I could use some other transport if it would help a lot. It's mostly 10 miles these days btw.

Ok, that's probably/hopefully not enough cycling to affect recovery. My sense is that if you've spent a year in LP, have spent time with doubles and triples then its time for intermediate programming. Especially if you're going to be adding running to the mix. I would suggest Old man TM, HLM, or Baker's modified TM

Thanks, I'll experiment with TM presses, but keep doing advanced novice squats (Wednesday light days, back off sets when needed) and novice pulls for the moment.
    That would be:
    Monday: volume (5 sets) bench / press
    Wednesday: light (3 sets) press / bench
    Friday: intensity (5 reps) bench / press

Are sets of 3 for presses a good idea?
    Texas is the same as old man Texas for presses, isn't it?

On HLM I would do Monday bench, Wednesday press, Friday close grip or incline? I like the idea of HLM (all lifts) combined with a diet for recomposition, so I'll get onto that instead of resetting next time I fail squats.
    If I deadlift and clean (very badly!) would barbell rows be a good light day pull? Probably chins are more productive. Since my clean is poor, I might try Monday deadlift, Wednesday chins, Friday cleans / rows (rotated).

You may want to check out The Bridge. It’s a tremendous program designed by Jordan Feigenbaum and Austin Baraki, both fantastic SS coaches.

I ran it when I finished my novice LP and it’s really great.

The Bridge | Barbell Medicine

Other than that I may recommend for the lifts that are really digging you to do your normal set, then do an additional back off set at about -10%. This will give you some more volume without killing you.

Best of luck bud.

Quote Originally Posted by convergentsum View Post
    Hi chaps,
    Hope y'all are having a festive time, if that's what you're into!

I've been a novice now for a little over a year (should be finished by now, but been two or three resets along the way). I feel like a true novice on the lower body lifts, but my presses are progressing much slower -- each 1-1.5kg increment is taking about 3 or so attempts to achieve. I'm still doing 3 sets of 5, should I

a) switch to 5 sets of 3? 3 sets of 3? I trained triples and doubles on the press over the summer, found it easier to progress but not sure it had much training effect.
    b) use intermediate programming? Which is more suitable, Texas method or HLM?
    c) ramp up assisstance work? I currently do very occassional curls to combat bicep tendonitis, but I chin regularly. Aiming for a decent number of overall reps so I use sets of 5 but I could proabably amrap at least 7.
    d) something else?!

I'm 37, 100kg, current lifts are 135kg squat, 145kg dead, 50kg press, 78.5kg bench. I've gradually put on 10kg of body-weight over the last year, feel pretty fat though (have been my whole life). Should I get heavier? Is there a way to proceed at the same bodyweight? Squats feel pretty solid at the moment. I'm planning to run a 10k with my wife in March, would be nice to get round in less than an hour -- I'm certain a lighter bodyweight would help most with that, but lifting takes priority.
    For cardio, I cycle 5 days a week between 10 and 40 miles; I'll be adding a couple of runs (maybe one long run and one set of hill sprints per week) in February. Is it worth doing HIIT in January? I enjoy (if that's the right word) the C2 rower, also my gym has a stairmaster, is that good?

Thanks guys.
    Something doesn't add up. Even if you put on 1kg a week to your lifts over a year means you started with a 0kg press. or a 28kg bench. I understand some people start with the bar regrdless of size and weight, but I dont understand (baring some physical ailment) that someone can be on LP for a year and see end results that match other novices starting numbers at that height and weight. My guess would be lack of consistency, nutrition, or serious form issues. Any of these, if true, wouldn't promote a move to a new program or intermediate programming.

You dont have to respond, you know the answer already. If you truly re deficient in any of the categories then evaluate your goals and move forward. Mentioning cardio usually implies some degree of a weight loss goal. YMMV with any program that includes cardio. Just make sure your program lines up with your goals.

I would cut out all the cardio. What else is going on? How's your eating? What are your rest times between sets? How's your form?

starting strength coach development program
    Well sure, like I said a couple of setbacks involving resets, but overall I've had very few runs of consecutive sessions adding weight to the upper body lifts. In LP you attempt the weight until you make all the reps. At this point I reckon that weekly periodization is no slower for me than LP, as I can't seem to cope with microloading 1 or 1.5kg per session.
    Nearly done 2 complete weeks of TM for presses now, still LPing the squat and deadlift. Too early to judge effectiveness.

Yes I'd like to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast