About 3 weeks ago, I was trying to do a chin-up before I was ready, although I had been doing lat pulls and some negative chins. It probably didn't help that I was hanging from a tree branch that wasn't level, and that I was cold. Pulled really hard, and felt that little stab that says, "You just did too much.".

The damage seems to be along the outer edge of the lat, a little below the bottom of the scapula. It bled through the fat to the skin a bit, so I'm guessing I had a moderate muscle tear. I worked around it, then through it, and it's healing up OK. (I still heal quick for an old guy.) I can do some chin ups now, 5 or six sets of one, anyway, even though still pretty far overweight.

Here's what I'm curious about, not having had this particular strain before: Initially, there was a lump about 6" long and 1" diameter, centered on the damaged spot, and running along the outer edge of the muscle. It wouldn't roll out with roller or lacrosse ball, so I'm guessing it's not just a spasm. It's shrinking but still there. Anyone have any idea what that is? Some kind of spasm? Hematoma? Just residual inflammation?

Not worried, because it functions OK and isn't too uncomfortable. I just like to understand what's going on.