starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on lower back soreness

Default Need advice on lower back soreness

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I've been dealing with some lower back soreness for probably 2-3 weeks now. The pain is basically in my low back directly above each butt cheek. It's probably either squat technique and/or deadlift. I'm squatting 3x/wk and deadlifting every 4th workout on novice routine. The weight is not very heavy on my squats, because of a lot of resets due to medical and form issues. There was not a single time where I felt something tweak. It's just a soreness that has been steadily increasing as I increase weight.

My question is whether this would be something to go through a recovery protocol or to just try to continue on while keeping an eye on maintaining form or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    I've been dealing with some lower back soreness for probably 2-3 weeks now. The pain is basically in my low back directly above each butt cheek. It's probably either squat technique and/or deadlift. I'm squatting 3x/wk and deadlifting every 4th workout on novice routine. The weight is not very heavy on my squats, because of a lot of resets due to medical and form issues. There was not a single time where I felt something tweak. It's just a soreness that has been steadily increasing as I increase weight.

My question is whether this would be something to go through a recovery protocol or to just try to continue on while keeping an eye on maintaining form or something else?
    Sounds like you're just sore. Get the medical/form issues addressed and carry on.

Try massaging your glutes with lacrosse balls. That will decrease tension in the surround muscles which may be causing the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Try massaging your glutes with lacrosse balls. That will decrease tension in the surround muscles which may be causing the pain.
    I've used this for all kinds of pains, including back. It does help. I also found that eating more, sleeping more, NSAIDs, and heat help. I don't know if the heat actually does anything, but it is just a part of my rehab.

I would see a coach / post a form check video to see if there are obvious issues causing possible injury. Also acknowledge that a little bit of tiredness/soreness is probably normal and you may have to work through it from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    I've used this for all kinds of pains, including back. It does help. I also found that eating more, sleeping more, NSAIDs, and heat help. I don't know if the heat actually does anything, but it is just a part of my rehab.
    Good shit, we agree on something. Ditto on the heat, too. I wear knee and elbow warmers all day at work. I found that it helps with minor aches.

You're excluding a lot of info. Age/height/bodyweight? How heavy are your current worksets? What do you mean by 'medical and form issues' - what's your injury history? Do you have a desk job? How's your sleep/diet/recovery? What triggered the soreness? How bad is the pain - as in do you notice it after a set of squats or when you lean over a little?

39 yo male; 6'1'" 200lbs

I'm getting 7-7.5hrs/night of sleep. Diet is good. I'm eating enough to try to maintain my weight, due to my bf creeping up too high (23%). Otherwise, I'd be trying to gain weight. Recovery is an issue. My medical issue is low T, which is definitely causing significant recovery issues. I am working on getting it sorted out, but is taking longer than it probably should. I do have a desk job. I've been trying to stand more lately. My current work sets have been hovering around 130 - 160lbs. Really, this weight should not be a problem, but for some reason it is. I did get much higher, but was not getting enough depth. Did a reset to ensure I did get to proper depth, which is still an issue for me. I tend to have issue maintaining a solid lower back and keeping my chest up when I get close full depth.

The pain is mild to medium. It is there anytime I use that muscle, like bending over. It is not DOMS. There was not specific time it started. It just was something that started getting worse as I continued to up the weight. I don't feel the pain while squatting, just after I'm done. But I do feel it while deadlifting.

My main question is whether to address the form issues and continue on or give it some time to calm down before proceeding?

39 yo male; 6'1'" 200lbs

I'm getting 7-7.5hrs/night of sleep. Diet is good. I'm eating enough to try to maintain my weight, due to my bf creeping up too high (23%). Otherwise, I'd be trying to gain weight. Recovery is an issue. My medical issue is low T, which is definitely causing significant recovery issues. I am working on getting it sorted out, but is taking longer than it probably should. I do have a desk job. I've been trying to stand more lately. My current work sets have been hovering around 130 - 160lbs. Really, this weight should not be a problem, but for some reason it is. I did get much higher, but was not getting enough depth. Did a reset to ensure I did get to proper depth, which is still an issue for me. I tend to have issue maintaining a solid lower back and keeping my chest up when I get close full depth.

The pain is mild to medium. It is there anytime I use that muscle, like bending over. It is not DOMS. There was not specific time it started. It just was something that started getting worse as I continued to up the weight. I don't feel the pain while squatting, just after I'm done. But I do feel it while deadlifting.

My main question is whether to address the form issues and continue on or give it some time to calm down before proceeding?
    Two people already recommended trigger point massages. Start with that.

Amazon.com: WODshop Self Care Massage Ball Kit of 2 Balls for Mobility, Myofascial Release, Physical Therapy, Trigger Point, Lacrosse (2 Black): Health & Personal Care

See this:

Self Myofascial Release Trigger Point: Gluteus Medius/ Minimus - YouTube

And the related videos.

I also have a desk job and keep two massage balls at my office. I press them on my back, glutes, and hamstrings (while sitting down on my chair) all day long. Helps a lot.

starting strength coach development program
    I've done some of this from time to time. I already have some lacrosse balls. But I will do this faithfully every day now. It does definitely help with the stiffness in the my lower back and legs after I'm done. I can definitely feel a lot of tenderness, especially at the top of my glute and more towards my hip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast