starting strength gym

Thread: Form check, knees forward at bottom

Default Form check, knees forward at bottom

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys, finished my PR of 315x5

YouTube

and noticed knees coming forward on bottom. Any tips to reduce this? What're you noticing?
    --

This is a problem someone noticed I had coming out of the hole in pause squats,

YouTube

but not coming down. Maybe because of the lighter weight?

Hey man

You’re breaking your hips first. You need to break knees and hips at the same time. Your knees need to be in the appropriate position 1/3 or so of the way down. Or, as in your case, they get in the forward position in the bottom of the squat. No bueno. So, get your knees set sooner and stay mid foot the whole way up!

That’s it. I have been so preoccupied with loading my hips, I lost track of breaking with both. Good catch, thanks man

Wanted to give a follow up vid practicing breaking at both hips and knees, see much less knee slide, opinions??

YouTube

You're still sliding your knees forward to get to depth. I would deload and really focus on getting your knees in the correct position 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down.

Tubow can be really helpful here. Just focus on touching the block with your knees before you're halfway down, and don't allow them to go any further forward while your hips go in the hole.

I would deload something like 20%, but don't be afraid to deload even more if that's what it takes to be able to focus on this. It's difficult to get rid of a knee slide, so take your time to deal with it. Good luck!