starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and DL check

Default Squat and DL check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello friends. This is my first post on SS forums. I am reading the book and trying to implement the proper techniques. Just some background. I have not squatted, deadlifted, over head pressed, or cleaned for about 7 years. I have two herniated discs in my lower back and have been living with pain for years. Everyone here has inspired my to grab my bootstraps and stress, recover, and adapt my way to feeling better and get back to my favorite lifts. I am 36 and I have been lifting seriously for 17 years. I am a seasoned lifter but I am staring my novice progression to relearn all the proper techniques, and that has brought me here. Please feel free to tear my form to shreds. My goal is to feel better and lift as close to perfect as possible. I have ordered lifting shoes and a belt they should be arriving later this week. Thank you

Squat
    YouTube

DL
    YouTube

This is my first post and I’m not very good with technology. I thought I posted the video with the proper angle. I don’t have a computer so I only know what it looks like on my phone. Do I need to adjust from portrait to landscape before posting or is this the right way? It looks fine on my phone.
    Thank you.

Welcome. Overall not bad. Filming from hip height is better, in general; when it is as high as you have it it is harder to judge proper depth, among other issues.

Squat: Try a stance with your heels and an inch or two closer together, maintaining your current toe angle. You are likely keeping you back angle to upright/vertical. As soon as you break your knees and hips, lean your torso over (bending at the hips) and point your chest towards the ground. Establish your back angle by about 1/3 way down and maintain it until about the same spot coming back up. Try to a smoother descent; you are quickly jerking into your descent, then slowing down as you approach the bottom, and almost pausing at the bottom. Try to maintain a constant speed on the descent, dont pause; instead of pausing catch the bounce out of the bottom.

DL: Deadlift starting Position Critique

From this angle it looks like your shins are too close the bar at the start, which prevents you from using knee extension to start the lift off the floor. Also, pay attention to step 4 and really squeeze your chest up hard to set your back. It will feel uncomfortable.