• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    YouTube
    What are the problems with my form? This is around 70-75% of my max

Quote Originally Posted by Stanleypp View Post
    YouTube
    What are the problems with my form? This is around 70-75% of my max
    That depends on what type of squat you're trying to do. This is Starting Strength, and we're fans of the low-bar back squat for those that can do it. Are you trying to do the low bar back squat?

I'm doing high bar. When I try low bar it just feels unfomfortable for me.

I'm doing high bar. When I try low bar it just feels unfomfortable for me.
    Getting strong isn't really about comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Getting strong isn't really about comfort.
    So you can't get strong if you squat high bar? K then

So you can't get strong if you squat high bar? K then
    No, you are just very likely to have a hard time getting strong if you let comfort be the primary factor in your decision-making process.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    No, you are just very likely to have a hard time getting strong if you let comfort be the primary factor in your decision-
    making process.
    So if I'm lifting only for general strength and I prefer high bar over the low bar I should still do low bar?

So if I'm lifting only for general strength and I prefer high bar over the low bar I should still do low bar?
    Yes. The low bar squat allows you to use more weight. Have you read Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training? The first 75 pages or so covers this very topic.

Actually, low bar and high bar are not that different as some people tend to think.

Both have some advantages and disadvantages, so its simply a (mind you: small!) tradeoff when choosing between the two. When youre comfortable with one, but not with the other, be it due to former injuries, restrictions etc, just do one variation of the two and youll be fine, especially when training for general strength (whereas you *have* to do low bar squat as a powerlifter and should do high bar (and above: front sqaut) as an olympic weightlifter).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    Actually, low bar and high bar are not that different as some people tend to think.

Both have some advantages and disadvantages, so its simply a (mind you: small!) tradeoff when choosing between the two. When youre comfortable with one, but not with the other, be it due to former injuries, restrictions etc, just do one variation of the two and youll be fine, especially when training for general strength (whereas you *have* to do low bar squat as a powerlifter and should do high bar (and above: front sqaut) as an olympic weightlifter).
    It's always possible that will be chapter 1 of the 4th edition of SS:BBT. Just do whatever feels right/comfortable and you'll be fine. Knowing Rip, I have to guess probably not though, and these are the Starting Strength boards, so I'm going to continue recommending that people who are capable of performing the low bar squat do so.

Honest question: Do you/the lifters you coach (if any) not have to take significant poundage off the bar when switching from low-bar to high-bar? Or are you suggesting that the absolute load doesn't matter?

I'll also note that there are probably quite a few people around here who do quite accurately understand the difference between high bar and low bar squat, based on their extensive lifting and coaching experience coupled with solid analysis. I suspect that you may not have read the book, Marenghi, but I genuinely and honestly recommend it. In addition, here are just a couple articles about the subject that might interest you, or someone else who stumbles across this discussion:

Musings on the High Bar vs Low Bar Squat Debate | Wolf Strength and Conditioning
    https://startingstrength.com/article...t_rippetoe.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast