starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Depth Check

Default Squat Depth Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello, just want to say thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to give me their feedback.

I recently started squatting higher because I was experiencing knee pain after my squats. My goal is to hit correct depth without going lower. My old squat would basically be bottoming out and bouncing out of the bottom. I review my depth after each time I squat and I feel like I am just hitting parallel, which is fine. I just want to get other people's opinions and make sure all reps are good. So what do you guys think?

IMG_4204 - Streamable

Not sure if this embed script is working so the link is above.

<div style="width:100%;height:0px;position:relative;pad ding-bottom:56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/h58f1/gejsrj" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width:100%;height:100%;position:absolute;le ft:0px;top:0px;overflow:hidden;"></iframe></div>

Yes it looks like you are just hitting parallel.
    But remember: the Low Bar Squat, as described in SS 3rd edition, is performed to just below parallel.

You were probably experiencing knee pain because either you were bouncing off of your knees instead of your hips in the bottom and/or your knees were sliding forward in the bottom of the squat.

In the video you posted your knees are sliding forward in the bottom. Your knees should track in line with your toes during the first half of the descent and then be set in the position they will stay in for the bottom of the squat. They should not shoot forward as you break parallel. This represents inefficient mechanics and can lead to knee pain. I recommend working with a TUBOW to dial in your knee position: How to use the TUBOW

awesome feedback Connor thank you