starting strength gym

Thread: Squat formcheck

Default Squat formcheck

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey,

can you check my squat, please?
    Its 90kg, I think it was a little too much for me.

Youtube

Thank you,
    Tobias

Was it your intention to perform a high bar squat and to do so above parallel?

Grüßen aus Minnesota.

What Satch means is there is a fair bit to fix here, so much that we're not sure you're trying to to a low bar squat according to the starting strength model.

If you are, well, here's a list of some things to fix right away in your next session. Other things can be addressed later.

Bar goes further down your back, watch this.

Look down at the floor about 1.5 meters in front of you. NOT AT YOURSELF IN THE MIRROR.

Big breath, squeeze everything tight, etc.

Bend over and shove your knees out.

Since you're stopping far (10-15 cm!) above parallel, you'll need to find the right depth by turning sideways to the mirror and squatting down so you can check that your hip crease is just below the top of your knee bones.

Start there, but you'd well to watch some videos of rip coaching the squat, perhaps the Art of Manliness one with Brett is a good place to start.

Grüße aus Cologne,

sorry for setting up high bar. I wasn't aware. Today I tried to fix the big errors. I am aware that I looked at the mirror again - will try to stop it next time.
    I really appreciate, that you will drive one or two other rounds with me :-)

Youtube

Toto:

First, please read the sticky on filming squats as this isn't the best angle, plus we can't see your entire body. It's helpful to see you from head to toe. I'm a relatively new lifter, but I've completed my LP, so I'm learning along with everyone else so FWIW here's what I suggest:

Turn around, you don't need the mirror it's a distraction. I've never used a mirror, I film and watch video in between sets.

From this angle I can't see your foot placement but I suspect your stance is to narrow and your toes aren't pointed out 30 degrees.

Take a big breath and hold it. Get your back tight, find a spot 3-5 feet in front of you and look at it the entire set.

Squat by setting your hips back and pushing your knees out HARD. You must stay tight through the entire rep.

You're high on almost every rep by about 1.5 inches to 2 inches.

Finally, when you hit the hole drive your hip up.

Hope this helps