starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help. Tubow squat and DL form check

Default Help. Tubow squat and DL form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I’ve been trying to fix my knees going forward in my squat. I set up a foam roller as a TUBOW and filmed myself squatting. My knees slide throughout the squat but they never touch the roller that is set about 1.5 inches from my toes. I set up the roller in my deep squat position without a bar on my back. I’m having a hard time pushing my butt back without falling backwards. I feel I have long femurs and with the bar so low on my back I feel the center of mass is pushed too far back. Should I move the bar higher on my back to move the COM forward so I can push my hips back more?

225 lbs x 5 reps
    YouTube

Deadlift form check also please
    295 lbs x 5 reps
    YouTube

THANK YOU!!

These links below work. I don’t know why the links I post in the first message never work.

Squat 225

YouTube

DL 295

YouTube

Videos aren't working.

Videos don’t work. Just copy the codes from YouTube’s “Share” link.

Your description of your TUBOW use is incorrect. You are supposed to touch the TUBOW, but not knock it over. Your knees are not supposed to move after 1/3 to 1/2 the way down the descent. Also, the TUBOW isn’t for work sets.

With regard to balance, it sounds like one of a few or more things: you aren’t leaning over enough, you are breaking hips first and shoving your hips back too much too early, and/or there’s an issue with knees out sufficiently. There may also be a flexing upper back issue as well. Let’s wait until the videos are up.

Squat

YouTube

DL

YouTube

Satch.

The 225 isn’t my work set. It’s a warmup set. I can squat 300 for 5 with the same form. I can drop a little slower with the 225 so that’s what I used with the tubow. And the hairs on my knees touch the roller, maybe even my skin lightly but definitely not enough contact to make it move at all.

Squat - you are using your knees too much. At the top, break at the hips and knees at the same time and immediately get your chest aimed at the ground and start pushing your butt back - more back than down. Keep pushing your butt back until you hit depth and then lead back up with the hips.

Deadlift - stop looking in the mirror. Spend more time pulling your chest up before you break from the ground.

How is my back angle in the deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMetal View Post
    How is my back angle in the deadlift?
    Variable. I think your initial foot placement may be off. Can you get footage of your set-up next time?

starting strength coach development program
    Will do. Thank you Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast