starting strength gym

Thread: Squat depth check

Default Squat depth check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello,

Got some great advice here earlier, so I値l bother you guys again with another form check after todays practice.

Have been working on my form lately, and especially depth knee slide/knees out. Did a bunch of sets today and was able to get deeper than before by widening my stance slightly from what I have been used to until now. Anyways still unsure if depth is good enough so please advice.

Note: Still have som issues with knees going forward at the bottom on some of the reps, but manage to keep them quite stationary when focusing on it. Will try to restart LP from here and see if I can make them more consistent.

Todays video: YouTube

Previous check: YouTube

I think your depth is good in the new video.
    I do believe your knees are too much over your toes. It should be about 1 inch. Yours are about 2? It's hard to tell off course.
    Have you tried using a tubow to stop the knee from traveling to much forward?

Other then that good job.

Joey,

How tall are you? Depth was good. Focusing on the knees seems to have improved thing.

Senol,

look at how long his legs are. He is probably a tall individual with long legs which means that in the proper position, his knees will be in front of his toes by more than someone with shorter legs. The more important thing to look for is the relationship between the bar, his midfoot, his back angle, and whether his knees become set approximately halfway through the movement. The actual position of his knee is largely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    Senol,

look at how long his legs are. He is probably a tall individual with long legs which means that in the proper position, his knees will be in front of his toes by more than someone with shorter legs. The more important thing to look for is the relationship between the bar, his midfoot, his back angle, and whether his knees become set approximately halfway through the movement. The actual position of his knee is largely irrelevant.
    Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyNor View Post
    Hello,

Got some great advice here earlier, so I’ll bother you guys again with another form check after todays practice.

Have been working on my form lately, and especially depth knee slide/knees out. Did a bunch of sets today and was able to get deeper than before by widening my stance slightly from what I have been used to until now. Anyways still unsure if depth is good enough so please advice.

Note: Still have som issues with knees going forward at the bottom on some of the reps, but manage to keep them quite stationary when focusing on it. Will try to restart LP from here and see if I can make them more consistent.

Todays video: YouTube

Previous check: YouTube
    See if you can tell the difference between rep #1 in "today's video" and the other reps. In rep#1 you keep your thoracic and lumbar spine in rigid extension throughout the rep. In the subsequent reps you relax a little, leading to a bit of flexion. Keep everything super tight as you approach the bottom. I would also suggest walking tall out of the rack and investing in a good belt. Best Belts or Pioneer.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    Joey,

How tall are you? Depth was good. Focusing on the knees seems to have improved thing.

Senol,

Sorry for my late reply here guys. I知 184 cm (6 ft), so I guess that explains why my knees will have to come forward enough to compensate for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    See if you can tell the difference between rep #1 in "today's video" and the other reps. In rep#1 you keep your thoracic and lumbar spine in rigid extension throughout the rep. In the subsequent reps you relax a little, leading to a bit of flexion. Keep everything super tight as you approach the bottom. I would also suggest walking tall out of the rack and investing in a good belt. Best Belts or Pioneer.
    Thanks Ryan, and yes I certainly see the difference when you mention it. I also remember on this set I felt the bar moving forward/up at the bottom, without realizing why. I have not had this issue later as I知 more focused on staying thight throughout.
    However, after fixing my knees and depth I知 now struggling with anterior hip pain which started on the right side, but after restarting LP from 80 kg it appeared in my left hip as well from 90kg. Tried taking a week off, but it came back immediately on the next workout unfortunately. Don稚 know what to do at this point, but will continue my search for a solution...