starting strength gym

Thread: Form check, ‘- Squat

Default Form check, ‘- Squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys.

First time poster. Been making my way through both books (SS and PP). First time really into barbell training and liking it so far, but feel like my squat has issues. I’m 5’7” and skinny as you can see. 39 years old, 138#. Stalled out on squat at 160 and reset to 145 today. I feel like I’m losing my back angle somewhere, but not sure as I’m no expert. Also getting some soreness around tailbone area after sets. Is my lower back possibly not in extension? How does my squat look? Any feedback is appreciated.

YouTube

Your back does look like it is folding a bit at the bottom of the squat. Pay attention to the endcaps of the barbell. Notice how the bar moves forward at the bottom? This typically comes as a result of losing back extension or you "losing tightness". Really focus on getting tight at the top. Proud chest, lower back in extension (think butt out, or whatever gets you to do it), big air and clench your abs. I would also like to see you get your chest down earlier.

Ok, thank you for the tips.

When load gets heavy relative to the individual, is it common to see a slight, temporary change in the back angle on the initial ascent out of hole as the hips drive up before the back can “catch up”?

Also on the back extension, I guess I was afraid of overextending. Maybe what I “feel” and what is “real” is out of sync here and I need to really cue what I think is too much extension to actually achieve proper extension. If that makes sense.

Yes. It is perfectly normal to see a slight, temporary change in the back angle on the initial ascent. This does not mean that the back should lose extension, however. In fact, the slight change in back angle is indicative of driving the hips up properly.

It is relatively rare for males to be able to overextend. I would think of setting your back into extension as much as you can, and if you have concerns then put a form check up in the coaches' board.

Thanks again. I’ll go ahead and post in coaches forum as well as suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey50 View Post
    Thanks again. I’ll go ahead and post in coaches forum as well as suggested.
    Also read this: The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

You probably need to start eating more to support your muscle growth.

starting strength coach development program
    Low back control explained:

YouTube