starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piano and hook grip

Default Piano and hook grip

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I know the hook grip for deadlifts has been discussed before but this is a more specific question. Would it be a bad idea for someone who plays piano to use this grip or is it too damaging to the thumbs? If i didnt play any instruments, i probably wouldnt care at all but im just wondering if this is perhaps a bad idea.

I play the guitar and I have pulled 475 for a set of four with the hook grip. No problems here. Also, please get in touch with Stef to change your username.

Don't fuck with Comrade Campitelli.

I play piano/organ for a living and have had no such problems. You should be more worried about somehow dropping a plate on your finger.

Quote Originally Posted by terribleusername View Post
    I know the hook grip for deadlifts has been discussed before but this is a more specific question. Would it be a bad idea for someone who plays piano to use this grip or is it too damaging to the thumbs? If i didnt play any instruments, i probably wouldnt care at all but im just wondering if this is perhaps a bad idea.
    I played classical piano for many years, and though I don't keep up with it seriously, I can't imagine it having much of an effect. You might check with SSCs Nick Klemetson and Karl Schudt, who are both musicians.

Hook grip isn't really "damaging" to the thumbs anyways. It just hardens them up on the part that doesn't touch the keys anyways.

If I had to have a concert pianists touch it would be an issue for sure.
    But I don't, I just play for fun, and occasionally beer.

That said, it does take a little extra warm up if I play right after dead lifting.
    Also, I only use hook for snatches.

Hey ironbutthole,
    I can still light up the keys and I have a nice thick layer of toe callous on my thumbs from hook gripping. You should be fine. Just keep up with your hanons.

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    I played classical piano for many years, and though I don't keep up with it seriously, I can't imagine it having much of an effect. You might check with SSCs Nick Klemetson and Karl Schudt, who are both musicians.
    It hasn't bothered my singing.

My piano/guitar/ukulele is mostly recreational, but unaffected. Note: the first time I did hook grip, I attempted to get three fingers on my thumbs, and I had a bout of numbness. Now that I know how to do it, it hasn't been problematic at all. At most two fingers go on the thumb.

You can also tape your thumbs to slightly mitigate the extent to which they callous.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the responses everybody, i do appreciate it. Very, I'll probably continue to pull hooked unless i suddenly notice a sudden effect on piano performance. Much prefer pulling overhand but refuse to use straps because thats just embarrassing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast