starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have to take time off from squats. Concentrating on deadlift

Default Have to take time off from squats. Concentrating on deadlift

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Long story short, im going to take 4 weeks off from squats. I have a left knee injury. From the hours of research i have done. It sounds as if i have a tear in my meniscus. After the rest time, if the issue is still there ill evaluate options. I'm PRAYING the rest works. The pain happens just shy of parallel. In which the knee "locks up". I can sometimes wobble my knee around and then its fine. Last week on ID squatting 275 it locked upon the 3 rep, I had to dump the weight. It can even lock up with a body weight squat. I cant pin point an exact event that started the pain. Im NOT a doctor. Im just trying to rule out any other injury possibilities with the rest.

I have had my form "inspected". All good. I made minor changes accordingly. Im about 3 months into TM style workouts. making great progress. Though im not happy with my squat strength. But I hadn't gotten discouraged. And kept plugging along. My bench is 225x5 and deadlift is 340x5. So now comes my search for opinions/ knowledge. While during my rest from squats i want to turn that focus to deadlifts. Like I said, I only have pain near parallel. I dont think this is covered in the book, but ill check agian tonight. I'm going back and forth on adding a volume day. Or HLM. Just looking for some opinions. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi414 View Post
    I have had my form "inspected". All good!
    By whom? An SSC?

As far as the rest, I'm not sure I see a question but it sounds like you may be wondering if you can DL more while you're not squatting. Is that correct? The answer is very likely yes, and it's probably worth a shot. If you were just doing one heavy set of 5 per week, keep doing that and on the other day, do something like two sets of five at ~80% of the heavy day's weight and tack them up from there.

Thanks for the reply. A month or so ago I posted a YouTube video of a set of squats. With a few minor suggestions. Which I fixed. Yes, I’m looking for volume advise on deadlifts. I’m about to head into the gym now. I’ll do 2x5 @ 85%.

You didn't really answer my Q: Where did you post that video? Here? Who gave you feedback? Randos on the internet vs people who know what they're talking about is an important distinction that makes a difference. There's always a one-in-a-million shot that the rando is giving good advice, but I wouldn't bet on it.

As far as your question: start lighter at 80%, as I suggested instead of 85%, and see how you tolerate it before going up. As you advance, eventually you end up doing a bunch more pulling work but this is your first foray into it after the relatively low volume of the LP. Start smaller and build.

YouTube
    This was before a little wider stance and a bit lower bar. Hard to see in the video but I have a bar pretty low previously.

This squat is, quite frankly, nothing at all like the way we teach the squat and want you to do it. It's valid in that you're below parallel, but you're not doing anything resembling a starting strength style squat here, which is designed to maximize muscular involvement and strength adaptations. If someone told you that it was fine based on this video, that person either doesn't know or doesn't care about anything we teach about technique.

Specifically regarding your knee, the way you're squatting will be harder on your knees than the way we teach. While not certain, I suspect it highly likely that if you just adjusted your squat to resemble the SS style low bar squat, your knees would be fine and you wouldn't have to take time off squats and this would be a moot question.

1. Get the bar down in the right place - we have 3-4 videos on this, that you'll search for and watch if you care about the topic.
    2. Widen your stance about 2 inches at the heel, and turn your toes out more. Push your knees out so they point the exact same angle as your toes.
    3. Stop when your hip crease is 1 inch lower than the top of your kneecap, instead of going as deep as you can. You're way, way, way too deep here, at least 6 inches, maybe more.
    4. Keep your eye gaze steady at a point 4-5 feet in front of your feet on the floor and don't move your eyes or head the whole time as you drive your hips up.

This is the programming forum, not the form check forum, but your form is simply so completely out of line with the SS squat, and that is so germane to your question, that I made an exception for you to try to help. Please don't make this a waste of my time. Fix your squat.

Your a fucking cock sucker remove me from your fucking forum

I never asked you to check my form anyway. It WAS a deadlift programming question!

Amazing. Leaving this up for posterity.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 08-08-2018 at 09:06 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi414 View Post
    Your a fucking cock sucker remove me from your fucking forum
    *You're

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast