starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd time through GGW

Default 2nd time through GGW

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,

I'm wrapping up my 1st run through of GGW from Andy Baker, I ran it as a Bench focus.

My bench was my most advanced lift going into the program.

At this point it looks like I'll have made gains on my squats / deads and (slight)OHP, but down a little on my bench.

I'm planning on running it again, with a bench focus but obviously looking for a bench gain. I'm pretty sure that its a lack of volume for benching that caused the drop. Ive had good results in the past with higher volume training for the bench.

My question:
    I'm thinking of adding in 30 ~ 50 reps each training session alternating between weighted dips and weighted push-ups. I've read about adding a 4th day of pressing, but i'd like to keep this as a 3 day program.
    I'm really looking for confirmation that the additional volume I'm suggesting will be enough to drive progress.

thanks

I’d think the bodyweight reps wouldn’t be enough to drive progress.

I’m on my second time through GGW also. I did press focus and only went up 5 pounds (3% increase) from my starting 1RM. My bench, however, went up 15 pounds (5.5% increase).

If it were me, I’d probably just run the 3 day program or add in the 4th day.

I upped the intensity by 5% across all workouts (bench only) and added sets to each to make them all 5 sets. The above got bench moving for me on GGW and was consistent with my training history.

Add a little bit of per session volume to Monday and Friday Bench sessions (1-2 additional sets) and also maybe a slight increase in intensity on some of the earlier weeks

Crouching Wayne beat me to it

Thanks for the help guys, and thanks Andy for the great program.

Guys, I'm working the numbers for round 2.

Andy, how many weeks should I add 5% to the bench days? or Wayne, did you add 5% across the entire program?

The week 9 @ sets across of 4 @95% looks a little daunting unless I get more conservative on my 1rm.

That’s too much. The sets of 4 at 90% is actually too much of not taken in context, but the assumption is that by Week 9 you have gotten stronger and 90% is not actually 90%. I’d probably just add a bit of intensity in the first 6 weeks or so. Maybe keep %s the same but just add like 5-10 lbs on each lift as you see fit week to week.

Ok, will do , thanks for the hand holding.

I just finished week 11 and feeling really good with my lifts (other than the original question about bench), I'm looking forward to hitting some PRs in the final week.

How many times would you typically run the GGW program before moving on to something else?

Which of your programs do you like for a follow-up to a few round of GGW?

starting strength coach development program
    If you like the 3 day HLM stuff, the Classic HLM program is a good change of pace, similar in concept, but structured a bit differently. Volume is higher in the Classic program. If you want a run with some higher intensity stuff the TM program, the 7 week powerlifting program, or even the over 40 program are all good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast