starting strength gym

Thread: Sanity check: Any reason not to drive on as prescribed?

Default Sanity check: Any reason not to drive on as prescribed?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    From Intermediate and Advanced Training: A Few Ideas | Mark Rippetoe

"If you’re an Intermediate, do the meet in lieu of your heavy Friday workout ... Then everybody resumes training after a meet using the most recent data from training before the meet, not data from the meet itself, since training data is better-quality data for training."

Quick sanity check here:

I'm a raw intermediate (4 whole weeks into intermediate training). I did a USSF Fall Classic this weekend, made PRs on 2 of 3 lifts, got a qualifying total, and am considering Nationals in January. Don't know if I can go yet, but I'm working that out. I think a rough count in my head gave me ~14 weeks between now and then. Following advice from the article quoted above, today I slid right back into 4day TM with Volume Bench. I suspected I might have to titrate intensity *down* due to CNS fatigue from the meet, but that ended up not being the case: I added 5 lbs to my last conducted 5x5 and executed. All indications are I can just get back to training as if the meet "never happened."

The question: Since I'm still a very raw intermediate, is there any reason to change anything whatsoever right now, programming-wise? Any reason NOT to do 4day TM as prescribed for as long as it continues to function as intended, up to and including all the way up until Wednesday before Nationals?

My gut says I should just ride the horse I'm already on, but my gut also says Hostess makes a good cherry pie, so I don't trust that bastard much.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    My gut says I should just ride the horse I'm already on, but my gut also says Hostess makes a good cherry pie, so I don't trust that bastard much.
    Ha! That was a great line to end your post!

Let's say you do nationals and by that point you're a solid 4 months into post novice, early intermediate training. There is certainly plenty of variance, but kind of like a lot of people's LP lasts around 4 months, a lot of people seem to make weekly progress for around 4 months. I'd say continue as you're doing, making weekly progress, but do 2 things:
    1. Instead of going with the strategy of doing intensity day fives till they fail or nearly fail, then 3s, then 2s, then 1s - which leads to an unknown end date, plan things out a bit so you're down to hitting singles the previous two weeks or so before the meet. It's a big meet after all, you're traveling and making a whole trip out of it, and 4 months into intermediate training is a reasonable time to actually taper down a bit and hit a real PR, not just doing the meet in lieu of normal training.

2. Pay close attention to your fatigue, and taper the volume down a few weeks before the meet, too. Don't necessarily have to do this as much as a more advanced lifter on Block would, but if you're doing 5x5 every volume day, drop a set a few weeks out, drop another set the next week, and the week leading up to the meet on what would normally be volume day, hit your opener and just do a couple back off sets of five (or 3x3) at 10-15% less weight than your volume usually would be at. So this isn't a true, full, 100% taper and peak, but is kind of a softened one, more appropriate for a still pretty new trainee, but one who is no longer a rank novice or even fresh intermediate, and who has likely accumulated some fatigue whose dissipation will result in a better expression of strength built over the previous months.

Okay thanks, this helps loads. I'd drafted a plan through nationals; I used your advice above to refine it.

Some weird artifacts in the schedule, it being the end of the year. Thanksgiving is on Bench Intensity day. Christmas Day and New Year's Day both fall on Squat Volume Day. Things like that. But I suspect I'll figure something out to work around those issues before the days are upon me.

Ya, you'll figure it out and probably learn something about how your body performs and responds to different scheduling variations as a result. Life happens. It's fine.