starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC After the rack

Default PC After the rack

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Rip,

Wondering if you have any basic tips on getting the bar down after it is racked.

I experienced a sharp pain in my right deltoid while lowering the bar today (2nd rep of first work set). The pain happened when I caught the bar in the hang so that it would not go through my thighs (no platform to drop on). Tried another then quit PCs for the day.

SS 2nd p204 notes that this can be tricky, and to decelerate the bar with the traps. I wonder if my form was defective on the descent since my delt felt the pain?

I am 6'1", 180lb, and am up to 140lb PC. The bar is starting to feel a little heavy, and quite frankly I am beginning to fear the descent.

Thanks for any tips, and Happy New Year. -Twodogs

You just have to keep dropping it on your thighs until you figure it out. Beyond the advice to use your traps, you're on your own here. Gaining weight might help: your thighs would be meatier.

I experienced some really nasty pain on my brachialis from dropping cleans from day one. It's one of the reasons I ended up not doing them (and consequently not doing the program), but on the other hand power snatches are lighter and therefore may be easier to drop.

Will figure it out, thanks. Working on the weight too, it's just taking more Guinness than I originally thought it would.

As a sidenote, I will have 2 plates on my squat on Jan 10, I love being a novice. Thanks for everything.

I'm assuming you don't have bumpers? You only mention no platform, is the only reason I ask. Anyway, I was in the no-bumpers boat up until around 140, and it is a bitch to catch and lower. You can still set iron plates down not-too-gently; I did alright just slowing the bar down a bit and following it to the ground, but still letting it hit fairly hard. Of course I was doing this on my concrete driveway; not recommended for your new Brazilian cherry floors, or at a gym with sensitive people around. I did do this at the gym, too, which had rubber mats on the floor (thin ones, but still), and it worked alright, too. I assume no responsibility for you breaking plates, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post
    I'm assuming you don't have bumpers? You only mention no platform, is the only reason I ask.
    Good point. I do have bumpers - sets of 10s, 15s, and 20s (x2) kg - but haven't attempted the controlled drop. Going to give it a shot, since I can foresee all sorts of bad things happening if I keep trying to slow this thing in the hang position. As for responsibility for the plates, guess I will find out. Thx.

You're serious??? You have bumpers, but you're asking this board this question?

Wow...the initial question would have lead me to believe there is no way you have bumper plates. They are meant to dropped, that is sort of why they are so expensive and made of rubber.

I must remember this guy. Prone to wasting our time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I must remember this guy. Prone to wasting our time.
    Apologies Rip. I used the bumpers and dropped them like they were meant to be dropped. It felt good, and I was able to confirm that I am indeed an idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast