starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new low

Default A new low

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip I need some advice... the YMCA that I just joined replaced all their old YORK iron plates with... I can't even believe they make this... PLASTIC coated hex plates. So on to my question... when I kill the fitness manager, what's the best way to stash the body? She's skinny as a rake, so I'm sure she can be stuffed into a duffel bag or something.

I just about quit right there on the spot, then I saw a few 45lb steel plates at the back of the gym in a corner after I deadlifted the silly hex plates... I'm going to threaten some sort of terrorist activity if they get rid of the last ones.

Make her into some of that delicious Canadian Food you guys are so famous for.

Matt, can you find out what they did with the York plates? Maybe you can get your hands on them.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Rip I need some advice... the YMCA that I just joined replaced all their old YORK iron plates with... I can't even believe they make this... PLASTIC coated hex plates. So on to my question... when I kill the fitness manager, what's the best way to stash the body? She's skinny as a rake, so I'm sure she can be stuffed into a duffel bag or something.

I just about quit right there on the spot, then I saw a few 45lb steel plates at the back of the gym in a corner after I deadlifted the silly hex plates... I'm going to threaten some sort of terrorist activity if they get rid of the last ones.
    I've posted here before, and Rip may disagree with me, but you can live just fine with the hex plates AS LONG as the outer edge of the corners do not stick outside the edge of a round plate, and you can convince them to save a pair of the round plates. Have them save 1 pair of the old plates, and put those on your bar first, then from there forward load the bar with the silly plates. This will actually make heavy deadlifting a bit harder, because the bar flex will not leave some of the plates sitting on the ground (very, very) briefly. I can feel a little bit of a difference, and I think it's because all the weight has to start moving at the same time.

Take all that old iron off their hands and train at home. That's what I do.

This is just heretical. Get the Dominicans together so that a proper Inquisition can be conducted. Matt, you're always welcome at the Gold's where I work out. It's just 20 minutes South from the airport (LAX) and is part of a really nice Crowne Plaza Hotel complex with a great view of King Harbor. It's 72F here. How cold is it in Ontario? In Celsius please, of course.

Today it feels like -22 degrees here.

MazdaMatt, do you train at the YMCA in Mississauga or Brampton by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    I've posted here before, and Rip may disagree with me, but you can live just fine with the hex plates AS LONG as the outer edge of the corners do not stick outside the edge of a round plate, and you can convince them to save a pair of the round plates. Have them save 1 pair of the old plates, and put those on your bar first, then from there forward load the bar with the silly plates. This will actually make heavy deadlifting a bit harder, because the bar flex will not leave some of the plates sitting on the ground (very, very) briefly. I can feel a little bit of a difference, and I think it's because all the weight has to start moving at the same time.
    I did this when my gym did exactly the same thing as the original poster - they sold 3 weight trees worth of those old 1980/90's eleiko bumper plates (the ones that are bulletproof), and 2 weight trees worth of york cast iron plates, 3 olympic bars and 3 texas power bars by mac and replaced them with the cheapest bars and hex plates they could find.

Trouble is, these plastic plates are not designed to be lifted from the floor or onto barbells. If you try and do this, the plastic comes off. So after a few months, your lifts become terribly inaccurate.

Ever watched Dexter? Do what he does.

starting strength coach development program
    the YMCA that I just joined replaced all their old YORK iron plates with PLASTIC coated hex plates.
    What's the advantage of hex plates ? They're Cheaper ? They don't roll away from you ? You don't have to worry about somebody stealing them ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast