starting strength gym

Thread: Bench/Squat Check

Default Bench/Squat Check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I've sent you my Squat and Press checks before, but I've never sent in my Bench so I figured now would be as good of a time as any (especially considering the recent article by Bill Star "Don't Overlook the Middle.")

Stats:
    BW: 230
    Squat: 305 x 5 (today)
    Press: 155 x 5 (today)
    Deadlift: 395 x 5 (today)
    Bench: 205 x 5
    [Note: All my lifts are on a deload - 7 week hiatus from eating/lifting/sleeping right made me lose about a month of progress (40-60lbs on most lifts)]

Bench 1st Set (205lbs)
    [For your viewing pleasure my training partner filmed a second or two of a moron doing an abomination of a highbar squat behind me - my knees are still screaming from just watching them]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFL-Q6JbJgU
    2nd Set
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXKrgRcF2Bg

I don't see anything wrong with the bench, but then again that's why I'm posting here =D.

And, here's a recent Squat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_3sVLzZpv0

From my perspective, I see significant buttwink from going too low on depth (this might not be apparent from the video - the angle sucked). As a result, I lose tightness in my erectors and my squat turns into a goodmorning/squat variation.

[Can be compared to previous squat video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1UfZko6lG0]

The bench is paused, is this intentional? And you are squatting barefoot. Serious lifters find a way to obtain the necessary equipment to train properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The bench is paused, is this intentional? And you are squatting barefoot. Serious lifters find a way to obtain the necessary equipment to train properly.
    This is intentional on my part (the bench being paused). From what I gathered from Star's Article, if I ever want to compete in powerlifting, which I do, I need to get used to pausing my bench. So, that's what I started to do. Am I doing it wrong? Did I miss something?

As for being barefoot, I did purchase the .5" heel shoes from Rogue as I mentioned in a previous post. Despite squatting in them for about 6 workouts, I could never find my balance in them (my partner had better luck). I squat barefoot soley because I prefer a flat surface. I can squat in my flat soled shoes, but I prefer barefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by ello View Post
    This is intentional on my part (the bench being paused). From what I gathered from Star's Article, if I ever want to compete in powerlifting, which I do, I need to get used to pausing my bench. So, that's what I started to do. Am I doing it wrong? Did I miss something?
    I'll take a shot at this: The fact that the pause is required in the meet does not mean that training with a pause is the best way to get stronger on the bench. A better way is to train primarily using the stretch reflex, which allows the use of heavier weights. Then practice the pause for what it is--a minor technique variation, basically a sport-specific skill--in the run up to the meet. Correct?

I'm pretty sure that's right.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm glad this has come up since I've recently begun pausing my bench due to that article. Re-reading it now, it appears that we've misinterpreted it. It seems to me that Starr had the trainee pause in the middle of the lift because it was his weak point: he had a tendency to bounce the bar off his chest and raise his hips. He was also dealing with weights much higher than we are, even after having to drop a lot of weight to incorporate the pause. So the pause was mainly used to correct his weak middle, in addition to preparing him for competition. If one uses the stretch reflex while maintaining good form, there's no reason to believe the trainee is going to be deficient in the middle of the lift, correct? Yet another lesson in the value of reading things more than once.