starting strength gym

Thread: Coming back from a broken collarbone

Default Coming back from a broken collarbone

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Mark

How does one come back from a broken collarbone (sustained in a ski accident)? I suspect it's 6 to 8 weeks, at least, before I even look at a bar but is it just a matter of resuming the program, starting low and progressing carefully?

Or would I need to modify the program in some way in order to find my way back to the gym?

Power cleans for instance would seem particularly problematic but then again all the lifts (including chins and dips) place force across the clavicles regardless.

I commence physical therapy soon (1.5 weeks after the accident occurred) but any other insights on coming back would be appreciated. It's very frustrating to have this enforced time off and I want to return to training in an optimal way.

Many thanks

I had a broken collarbone as a kid, and it didn't take that long to heal. Same with ribs: they move all the time and it's essentially impossible to completely stabilize them, and movement across the fracture makes bones heal. Be careful with it for about 3 weeks, then start back light. You should be able to do prowler stuff in 10 days or so if you're careful. And God knows what silly shit the PTs will have you do.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 02-16-2011 at 10:07 PM.

So it's now two weeks since the accident and the last few days have made a big difference. PT has me doing assisted shoulder flexion up to 90 degree angle and hanging pendulum swings with the arm, as well as some grip stuff.

Don't think I'll be ready in a week for the gym - maybe another fortnight. The injury has gone from me thinking that it will never be the same again to now contemplating the gym in a fortnight or so. Patience I suppose.