starting strength gym

Thread: Question on DOMS, getting sick, and strength loss

Default Question on DOMS, getting sick, and strength loss

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So Jan 23, I squatted 315 for 3 sets of 5 pretty comfortably off of a reset. Pretty well past the point of getting sore or anything like that... Diet has been so-so, not great. Then I got sick and was out of lifting for a week. Diet was pretty crappy while I was sick, so low calories, low protein, etc.

Then I go in to squat on Jan 31.... same weight... I got 315 x5 and then missed the second set HARD after only the second rep.

I was out of town skiing over the weekend, but I am STILL very sore from the squats on Friday...It wasn't the skiing because I am a terrible skier and didn't ski long enough for that to kill me like this... that seems like a crazy amount of strength/recovery to lose after just a week off, right?

Not crazy at all. Getting sick can really take a toll on its own, plus the poor dietary habits during that period. Add to that some travel and another demanding activity, even if you didn't do an excessive amount of it, and your situation is quite normal.

Drop down to what you can do without an epic struggle, and just linearly work your way back. Assuming you're on advanced novice (since you needed a re-set), I'd guess something like:
    Mon - 285x5x3
    Wed - light squat
    Fri - 295x5x3
    Mon - 305x5x3
    Wed - light squat
    Fri - 315x5x3

and then you're back. Obviously that may not be the exact route best for your individual circumstances, but if you get your recovery in order and your shit together, something like it should work.

Thanks for posting this question tweak! I hope you don't mind me jumping onto this
    thread b/c I was going to post a similar question.

I recently missed 330x5x3 a second time, skipped two workouts due to a shoulder injury
    and went skiing in the interim.

I reset 5% and got 315x5x3 last Tuesday (my week is Fri,Sun,Tue). Wasn't too hard but, I
    was sore so I repeated it last Friday. Then I missed yesterday's workout -- family stuff, not
    the Super Bowl. My next workout tomorrow will not likely happen due to the snow storm
    pelting the NY Metro area.

So, the end of my LP is in shambles and this is where I feel my lack of programming experience
    may derail my progress.

Does it make sense to move to an intermediate program or reset again to milk novice LP and
    advanced novice LP? I've been reading PPST3 over the last week or so and, while I feel I'm
    acquiring a lot of knowledge regarding programming options, I lack experience to know what
    option to pick.

How much weight do you give to advanced novice LP vs. moving on?

Thanks!
    Last edited by thirdstation; 02-03-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdstation View Post
    How much weight do you give to advanced novice LP vs. moving on?
    I really need to know more about your specific circumstances to answer this for you, but if you got to 330x5x3 without taking a light squat day in the middle of the week, it's likely you'll be able to continue a reasonable amount further by adding the light day in. Re-set a bit further, work your way back up (10 lb jumps at first, then 5 when that gets hard - like a Novice), and then switch to advanced novice at 325 or so. Once again, assuming you got to 330x5x3 on the regular 3 day LP.

Stay away from intermediate programming for as long as you can. It is not nearly as much fun as you think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Stay away from intermediate programming for as long as you can. It is not nearly as much fun as you think it is.
    But calling it Texas Method makes it sound like a rodeo...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I really need to know more about your specific circumstances to answer this for you, but if you got to 330x5x3 without taking a light squat day in the middle of the week, it's likely you'll be able to continue a reasonable amount further by adding the light day in. Re-set a bit further, work your way back up (10 lb jumps at first, then 5 when that gets hard - like a Novice), and then switch to advanced novice at 325 or so. Once again, assuming you got to 330x5x3 on the regular 3 day LP.
    You guessed correctly. I have not introduced any of the advanced novice
    programming save for one light squat day between my two attempts to get
    330x5x3. I'll reset a bit further and work back up to 325x5x3 and then
    into advanced novice. It'll be a nice break.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I hear you and I'm under no illusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    But calling it Texas Method makes it sound like a rodeo...
    No rodeo yet but, there will be clowns.