starting strength gym

Thread: Press Form Check 80kg

Default Press Form Check 80kg

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coaches.
    Press has been my crappiest lift all along.
    Could I please get some advice on fixing my form. 80kgx5x3 sets
    http://youtu.be/GMfexWvJYeI

I know I lean back way too much but not exactly sure how to fix it. The weight is challenging but my form is stopping my progression.
    Note: Camera is resting on a bench facing upwards slightly, bar floats above chest.

Thanks,
    Matt

The first reps look like a good double laybacked press; it's only in the later reps of the set that it becomes a bit extreme. You're probably relying too much on the second layback, instead of pressing strength, to get the bar up past the sticking point. It's always important to remember that YOU'RE IN CHARGE of everything your body does. You have decided to let yourself lay back more, rather than pressing the bar upwards and focusing more on your upper body strength. You can therefore change this. It may require lowering the weights a bit to break an ingrained habit that you will do nearly automatically at limit and near limit weights, but you can change it by making yourself do it exactly the way you want to do it, every time, and then adding a small amount of weight from there.