starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two basic belt questions

Default Two basic belt questions

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I just got my 4", 6.5mm, General Leatherworks belt yesterday. I'm hoping it isn't t0o wide for my 5'8.5" frame. We'll see. But I have a couple basic questions, if I may:

1) Which lifts do you use them on? I plan already plan on the last warm up set and the works sets for squats and deadlifts. But do you use it on any other lifts? OHP? Bench?

2) Do I wear it as tightly as I can get it? It needs to be worked in, but for now I can get it to the 4th hole. I could probably force it to the 5th (and hope I can unbuckle it!).

3) Any harm in marking it with a sharpie (for ownership ID purposes)? Or stamping it? Will it weaken it?

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    I just got my 4", 6.5mm, General Leatherworks belt yesterday. I'm hoping it isn't t0o wide for my 5'8.5" frame. We'll see. But I have a couple basic questions, if I may:

1) Which lifts do you use them on? I plan already plan on the last warm up set and the works sets for squats and deadlifts. But do you use it on any other lifts? OHP? Bench?

2) Do I wear it as tightly as I can get it? It needs to be worked in, but for now I can get it to the 4th hole. I could probably force it to the 5th (and hope I can unbuckle it!).

3) Any harm in marking it with a sharpie (for ownership ID purposes)? Or stamping it? Will it weaken it?
    1 - For press, the belt is mandatory (in my opinion), for bench optional. Squats of course. Use it for deadlifts if you can get into position with it on.
    2 - You'll have to experiment and find what hole works for you. You want support, but not corseting.
    3 - Yes, marker ink is highly acidic and volatile. It may spontaneously combust. Do you want to set your belt and possibly yourself on fire? Don't use the marker.

1. I use my belt for the squat, deadlift, & press. You can use it for the bench if you want.

2. Experiment with the tightness. Try a given weight with a few levels of tightness and see which one feels best. Use doubles or triples at the same weight. It takes time to get used to using a belt, just like a new pair of shoes. For me, a tighter belt means more perceived support. Spend a few minutes and break it in. There was a 70sbig video a while back with Rippetoe showing how to break in a belt.

3. Mark it with whatever you want. It is your belt. Some belts are sold with stamped designs (i.e., from EliteFTS), and some guys burn designs into their belts (use a regular screwdriver & a propane torch). A sharpie definitely won't hurt it.

I just started wearing my belt for the OHP. It seemed to help. Otherwise, just for squats and deadlifts.

A marker won't hurt the belt. Shame on you Adam! Stamping your belt won't be easy unless you have the tools for it. You could carve your initials in your belt, but that would be more difficult than using a marker and touching it up from time to time as it fades from the sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    1 - For press, the belt is mandatory (in my opinion), for bench optional. Squats of course. Use it for deadlifts if you can get into position with it on.
    2 - You'll have to experiment and find what hole works for you. You want support, but not corseting.
    3 - Yes, marker ink is highly acidic and volatile. It may spontaneously combust. Do you want to set your belt and possibly yourself on fire? Don't use the marker.
    Adam, that's exactly what I was afraid of. I do want to be safe. But my very mild concern was that with the heat and sweat, maybe it would bleed out or blotch. Maybe I'll have a tattoo applied to the belt, just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I wear a belt for pretty much everything in the garage beyond my warmups.
    I can get into the last hole, but I can't lift in that hole. Experiment and see what you like.
    I wouldn't use a sharpie, but I think marking the tongue or something is fine and it isn't a load bearing part anyways. I don't know if it will stay marked.

Pictures? Review? Bath tub?
    As for pictures, it's their standard belt, so nothing really to see. Too early for a review, as I haven't used it in the gym. I'm wearing it around the office today to get used to it (not really). But "bath tub"? Of what do you speak?

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    This was possibly the best thing to happen on this whole forum. Besides the free advice, I guess.
    Uh oh...

I've walked into it again...

Ah, I didn't notice that was a link. Good God...
    Last edited by Smyth; 05-12-2015 at 10:15 AM.

I use mine exclusively for curlz.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Adam, that's exactly what I was afraid of. I do want to be safe. But my very mild concern was that with the heat and sweat, maybe it would bleed out or blotch. Maybe I'll have a tattoo applied to the belt, just to be safe.
    If youre worried (you shouldn't), mark it where it's not going to get much heat or sweat (e.g. inside of the tongue, near the first couple of holes).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I use mine exclusively for curlz.
    If anyone has a link to that vid where the guy is wearing his belt for curls please post it. I can't find it now but its brilliant and I want to watch it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast