starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check

BlackCoffee Guest

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025

Not bad at all. If I were to pick nits, I would suggest that you lean over more earlier to smooth out your descent. Stay tight as you come up. Your low back may be unlocking a touch on the ascent. Don't be afraid to eat a sandwich or three.

BlackCoffee Guest

Thanks for the reply. Here's a more telling set @ 280.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnSjG4_CIdg

I'm guessing I may be a touch high?

Your low back is flexing, but your depth is just fine. Plenty deep, actually. Keep your chin down and stop relaxing at the bottom. You must have volitional control of your low back in a squat. Since you keep sending me videos directly from the side, which are of very limited use, that's all I can say. The sticky is your friend. Read and implement.

BlackCoffee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Your low back is flexing, but your depth is just fine. Plenty deep, actually. Keep your chin down and stop relaxing at the bottom. You must have volitional control of your low back in a squat. Since you keep sending me videos directly from the side, which are of very limited use, that's all I can say. The sticky is your friend. Read and implement.
    Tom

I hope you find this angle more friendly. I also feel like I did a little better job having volitional control of the back. I do need to keep my chin down though still. I had someone else video today because he was noticing I was squatting uneven.

Below is 1x5@285. For some reason, the bar sagged to the right on my descent. He said he hasn't noticed this with my squats before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuywu9Twa_U

starting strength coach development program
    Much better angle. Drive your knees out more and keep your chin down.